• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two weapon fighting - quick question

AstroCat

Adventurer
If a character wielding 2 weapons chooses to only attack with their primary weapon do they still get the dual wielding penalties on that attack?

I would think so, since they are still holding the other weapon, but since they aren't using it maybe not. :)
It came up in our game and I want to be fair.

Thanks for the help! :)

Last edited:

nittanytbone

First Post
They don't incur the TWF penalties unless they are fighting with two weapons.

So, a fellow with a rapier and a dagger who chooses to attack with just the rapier does NOT incur the penalties to hit.

Consider that shields can be used as an off-hand weapon -- one would never insist that a sword & boarder takes a penalty to hit as his off-hand is busy holding a shield, right?

Kiehtan

Explorer
I second that. It is no different than having a shield or a lantern in your off hand, you aren't using it that round (to make an attack), so no penalty. Kinda similar to shield bash rules, if you shield bash, you lose the ac bonus of the shield and you take all the panalities for fighting with two weapons, but if you use your shield the normal way to add to your ac (not to bash with), you have no penalities to the weapon in your right hand.

Remove ads