• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Twelve Doors. Pick one and tell me why.

which door?

• Goblin Market

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Elven Army Camp

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Tiefling Duel

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Dragon Tower and the Ritual

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Trapped Child

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Coliseum

• Halfling Gang

• Fat Badger Ship

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Smith

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • High Forest Buildings

• Twisted Metal Rats

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cavern of Mounted Spiders

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
An endless hallway filled with open doorways, the action beyond each door is a frozen moment of time, until entered.

1: goblin market, where curiosities of all shapes and sizes can be bought and sold. A gnome is offering a sword of sunlight to an armored elf. Behind the elf shadowy figures begin drawing weapons. Loves of fresh bread catch your eye at a nearby table.

2: High elven military camp, in disorder, horses going wild, wounded running here and there, no obvious enemies. Elves in and out of uniform are also running about or shouting at each other.

3: A foreigner in wooden armor stands in cleared circle amidst a crowd of slaves, and onlookers. In the circle with him is a tiefling in ornate armor with leering devil faces. The tiefling brandishes a sword made of fire.

4: A Tower with the head of a dragon rolls on great wheels across a desert plain. Armored figures riding huge lizards cluster at its base. The doorway opens onto a fortified wall. On the inside are flat roofed houses, a group of dragonborn gather on the inside, performing some kind of great ritual, with a line of chained humanoids, some human, some scaled, waiting beside the knife- wielding ritualists.

5: A child is trapped in a mostly collapsed building, his leg under heavy blocks. Dust hangs suspended in the air.

6: A huge marble coliseum, men in stylized armor, circle each other warily, archers line the walls above.

7: Halflings carrying bundles of swords, approach the door, the walls are curved and wooden. The lead halfling is the one you left in control of the River Rats gang, and he is holding forth a crystal door hinge that he swore he didn’t possess.

8: A dwarf waving huge axes stands on a boat, yelling and pointing out to sea. The flag of the Fat Badger Trading Consortium flies over his ship.

9: in a farmyard, a smith hammers out a cruel looking sword of blackened metal his anvil and hammer shine with divine light, this simple smith is under the influence of the god of war and what he forges may shape the world to come.

10: dilapidated wooden structure, high above the ground. It is surrounded by enormous trees, and lit by fireflies. In tree hundreds of feet away a figure in a dress looks out over the rail as naked grey skinned humanoids scale the tree like spiders. It is not clear if she has noticed them.

11: An ebony figure with a beak and blood-red claws, attaches steel plates to the skin of a ratman. Around him lie other tables, each with a ratman tied to it. Many of the others are also twisted amalgamations of flesh, fur and metal.

12: Huge cavern, lit by flickering red light, a band of 20 armed men are surrounded by shadowy figures riding spiders. Fear is etched on the men’s faces, and many bear wounds. In the middle of the circle are two others lying on the ground.

previous thread 2010l

RSKennan

Explorer
I'd go through the door with the trapped child. The others are very tempting, and I'd be hard pressed to choose if the child wasn't in danger.

I feel like helping the kid is the most important dilemma to solve, and if I were me and not a character, the one that I'd have the best chance of helping with. Worst case scenario, the leg that's trapped might need amputation to save his life, but in D&D land there are spells for helping that. Without such spells I'd hope and do my absolute best to make sure that I'd be able to move the block of stone, but don't think I'd have it in me to cut off the leg.

Last edited:

Mishihari Lord

First Post
#5 , the child, because I have two small children. Also, I find helping someone in trouble is a lot more compelling then the mostly unspecified excitement in the other scenarios.

While the door with the trapped child is definitely the one that pulls at the heartstrings the most, I'm not sure it's the best option. It seems that being able to affect what's going on in some of the other doors may save many more lives in the long run (potentially including children).

If this is a world where direct intervention/contact with the gods is exceedingly rare, I'd probably pick 9. Being able to stop/control a worldwide war sounds pretty important to me.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Oh hmm.. my two main PCs right now would pick #1 and #1 1. One has just come from world saving adventures and needs some r&r, someone else can take care of issues. And the other is a priest/paladin abhorring such experiments as done behind door 11.

But if it was me as an adventurer...? #3 because fighting slavery, no matter if it's legal or not, would be very high on my list.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
I picked the kid, but #1 and #10 were also very tempting. Helping a Good character against Evil ones (or so it seems) or saving a Damsel in Distress are both worthy goals for a Hero! The slave scenario may be a case of butting into a duel of honor, at least on the part of the Good guy. All the ones dealing with armies and such I'd pass on in a heartbeat. (The gladiators are right out! at least, without a lot more info. They could well be criminals who deserve whatever they get... and all those archers!)

Yora

Legend
9: It's the only one where it looks like you can ask some questions what this place is and what's going on there before you get drawn into a battle you know nothing about. Same goes for 5, but 9 has a much better chance to get you any good information.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
I would not go through the door to the trapped child. Time is frozen there. If I go in with my non existent healing magic he is doomed.

I chose to settle the score with the halfling. Time or no time his betrayal is apparent. He would get sorted out quickly. Many of the other choices include an unknown quantity, Halflings are easy to measure *holds hand flat at waist level*.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads