• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Travel Pace

Travel Pace in chapter 4 of Trials and Tribulations gives the smallest unit in feet per minute.

The berserker Talent, Path of Blustery Autumns, gives you a +10 foot increase to your speed when calculating Travel Pace. Is that 10' added to the "per minute" calculation, or is it assumed to be a normal "per round" increase, and then scaled in proportion to the Travel Pace rate? The Travel Pace section does not specify, but I assume it's based on the standard 30' movement speed.

In addition, how does this interact with party speed? If the rest of the party has the standard 30' movement speed, and the berserker has this +10' bonus, does the entire party gain that speed boost, or is the berserker limited by the rest of the party?

A more extreme example would be a human "Wind at Your Back" paragon berserker with Rugged Defense, for a total base speed of 50', and then another 10' from the Talent, for a total of 60' travel speed — twice that of the rest of the party. Does any of that speed benefit him or the party during travel?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Looks like errata. In the end travel pace was not based on Speed. I’ll let the designers know and let you know she it’s errated.

Stalker0

Legend
Looks like errata. In the end travel pace was not based on Speed. I’ll let the designers know and let you know she it’s errated.
If you look at the travel pace table, the 1 minute pace is clearly 30 feet a round x 10 rounds of travel. We also have notes that you travel faster on a horse, which has greater speed.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I would guess most people would assume speed affects travel pace, its never stated you wouldn't, it effectively works that way in core 5e if you actually track it, and at least subtlety implied in a few areas I've noted above. I certainly have until you made this statement.

If you look at the travel pace table, the 1 minute pace is clearly 30 feet a round x 10 rounds of travel. We also have notes that you travel faster on a horse, which has greater speed.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I would guess most people would assume speed affects travel pace, its never stated you wouldn't, it effectively works that way in core 5e if you actually track it, and at least subtlety implied in a few areas I've noted above. I certainly have until you made this statement.
I could understand that travel pace is not based on any particular individual's walking speed (such as the above berserker with a 50' walking speed, or a gnome's 25' walking speed), but instead be a more generalized "party" walking speed. As you say, 30' per round * 10 rounds = 300 feet per minute, which is a reasonable baseline even if individuals might be moving faster or slower than that.

However that does suggest that something like the Path of Blustery Autumns should not be modifying an individual's speed, but should be modifying the party travel rate. If the talent description really was written with the idea that it would apply to speed, which would then be translated to pace, but then speed was removed from that equation, I might expect that it would be adjusted to increase the party's travel pace by 100' per minute (the difference that +10' speed would have made), and bypass the idea of changing "speed". That would be in line with what @Morrus said.

Of course since they removed speed from the underlying calculation information, giving a single value as a change to travel pace is a bit awkward. For slow/normal/fast pacing, adding 100' per minute, or 1 mile per hour, seems reasonable. I don't know if or how it would affect the crawl rate or gallop rate, though. Crawl seems to be 1/4 the slow pace, so might be adjusted to that scale (75' per minute, 0.75 miles per hour). Gallop is twice the fast speed, so use that scale after adding 100' to fast? (1000' per minute, 10 miles per hour)

Also, I'll assume that this benefit can only be added to the party once. Multiple berserkers with this talent wouldn't boost the party's travel pace multiple times over.

This reminds me of the Horse issue, where it turns out that getting a horse gets you a couple of extra miles a day and that’s about it.

the horses advanced speed was explained in 5e as being more akin to a sprint and not a long distance mechanic

Remove ads