• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trailblazer Character Sheet [v1.3] plus SRD spell list inserts

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I've been polishing off design on a character sheet for use with Trailblazer, or 3.x-based campaigns that borrow Trailblazer elements (like Combat Reactions, combat maneuvers, action points, or the unified spellcaster rules).

I took an experimental turn by designing this to fit on a folded legal-sized page (8.5 x 14). I was trying to get everything on to a single piece of paper, but be large enough to read and write onto. Squeezing it on a letter-size (8.5 x 11) was tight, and I felt I was shrinking everything too small. So I'm trying this compromise instead, a single slightly larger sheet that is folded.

I no longer have 2 variants posted. Just one, less work with updates. The current version keeps the page reference numbers.

If you are interested in taking a look, look down in post #3 where the all the spell list insert and the latest character sheet is posted.

Any comments on design, layout, glaring omissions? Is a version with page numbers too cluttered for the usefulness it might bring? Maybe there are other page numbers worth putting down? I know a legal-sized sheet is probably controversial, it means inconvenience for a whole lot of people to print on such an odd sized sheet of paper. But as I said, it's an experiment . . .

Last edited:

AdmundfortGeographer

I'm now designing some spell sheet lists as inserts for this character sheet. For players at a glance to mark up which spells are readied, see whether they are Rote, Restricted, or Rituals. See whether a given spell allows SR, Saves, or has specific Keywords.

I've color coded the spells by R/R/R, as well as giving a symbol for those who would print these in B/W.

The spells are purely the SRD spells for now.

The latest version of this spell list insert is below.

Any character sheet opinions out there?

Last edited:

AdmundfortGeographer

I've finished all of my spell sheet inserts for the Trailblazer class spell lists.

All Trailblazer classes "know" all spells on their spell lists. Druids and Rangers share the same spell list. Clerics and Paladins share the same spell lists. Sorcerer and Wizards share the same spell lists. These spell list inserts reflect that.

To get the Sor/Wiz spells all in, I had to shrink down to 8-point. All the other class spell lists are 9-point.

I'm including the latest version of my character sheet for Trailblazer games. It is up to version 1.3. I've also included some changes with feedback from Wulf and Glassjaw to this latest version of the character sheet.I don't see any more changes unless people offer some incisive feedback.

Even if you have no interest in Trailblazer you might find these SRD spell lists useful simply for the short spell "stat block" included by each spell.

The spell stat block lets you see at a glance:
  • spells that requires SR,
  • what saves if any,
  • what keywords,
  • casting times longer than a standard action.

Attachments

• Trailblazer Bard Spells sheet.pdf
    111.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Trailblazer Cleric Spells sheet.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Trailblazer Druid Spells sheet.pdf
    112 KB · Views: 96
  • Trailblazer Sorc-Wiz Spells sheet.pdf
    150.7 KB · Views: 122
  • TB Character Sheet-legal v1.3.pdf
    108.7 KB · Views: 153
  • Trailblazer Sorc-Wiz Spells sheet [no sblocks].pdf
    119.8 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I love the character sheet.

The spell sheets... HOLY WALL OF TEXT BATMAN! Reminded me of why I never use spell sheets. I'd much rather not have the mini statblock there. The R/R/R info is good; the checkbox is good; but then on the other hand I have almost all of the spells committed to memory-- or at least as much as you can tell me in the statblock.

I don't know what the solution is...

AdmundfortGeographer

You're right. It's a lot of text.

I don't have this stuff memorized, being someone who rarely plays spellcasters. The info in the spell stat block I find instantly useful. But cumulatively in the Sor/Wiz list it is a nasty about of jargon and excess to the eyes. I think it works well in the Bard, Cleric, and Druid lists however.

Hmm.

I hate making a version for this and a version for that. But maybe this is a case where the benefit is undone by the visual weight of it all, and a version without the spell stat block included is a better thing. :(

AdmundfortGeographer

Designed a variant of the Sor/Wiz insert without the mini stat blocks, see post #3 for the new file. It freed up enough space that I was able to find a way to push things around and squeeze every spell level into a single column. Took a bit of tinkering with line spacing in the fractions . . .

Aesthetically, I like 1 spell level per column. Tidy.

Papercut

First Post
Awesome sauce my man, would you mind if Wulf posted these on the Bad Axe site? And would Wulf mind updating the BAG site at the same time? The Loot! sale would have been awesome front page news on there!

Cheers

Remove ads