• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Thematic 4 corners of the PHB subclasses

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Druid clearly encompasses the natural world. “Land, sea, moon, and stars” sounds like a poetic way of saying “all things in heaven and earth.”
In the past, the Druid was especially "woodsy".

But 5e is emphasizing more the animism of all of the features of nature.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
While the quartets are about pairings, there is still some disagreement about which are the pairs.

For example, Reddit (Matthew) pairs:

PALADIN
• Devotion (white knight) / Vengeance (black knight)

and at first that seems a strong contrast. But when going to the remaining two:

• Glory (civilization) / Ancients (wilderness)

Glory corresponds less well to civilization. The themes are Olympic athletes, individualism and body culture.

Then when returning to the description of Vengeance, it actually is about civilization.

"Vengeance is a commitment to punish those who have committed evil acts. When evil armies slaughter helpless villagers, when a tyrant defies the will of the gods, when a thieves’ guild grows too violent and powerful, when a dragon rampages through the countryside."

In other words, Vengeance is a police force. They who keep the peace of civilization.

So, while there are pairings. Some are more obvious than others. I am curious what the designers have in mind, when they pair off the subclasses.

• Glory (civilization) / Ancients (wilderness)

Glory corresponds less well to civilization. The themes are Olympic athletes, individualism and body culture.
Actually, Glory being civilization makes sense to me. Glory is about your Story, and stories are histories within a civilized culture. Nonviolent competition is one of the most civilized concepts. Two people can be bitter rivals, but due to the social contracts of civilization, it need not devolve into violent, survival-based decisions. There is safety in accepted civilized competition, even when sparring. Glory is based on rising in the esteem of others to become a legend in society/civilization. And their abilities are very team-support-oriented. Works for me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads