D&D 5E The Magical Martial

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Maybe off topic, but definitely on title - I would love to see write ups of the class and many subclasses that go with the war artists from Wesley Chu's Art of Prophecy/Destiny. Might overlap too much with both the monk and fighter, but I bet they would be a lot of fun.

Chaosmancer

Legend
It is the same.. and we don't need that either.

Well, we do need to transcend human limits. Sorry, but we do. Humans don't do so well when hit by objects the size of trees, caught in flames hot enough melt steel, blasted by millions of volts of electricity, or any number of other things that happen to PCs on a regular basis.

And frankly, if I have a BBEG who can legitimately threaten to cause serious, personal harm to the planet by his sheer personal power... I don't want Farmer Joe's shotgun to be enough to kill him. And no matter how well trained an IRL human is with a sword, a shotgun blast is always going to be deadlier.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
It's a very strange way to view fiction. If it doesn't bear a 1 for 1 relationship with reality, then it must be magic.

There's no room for different but natural.

Seems really limiting, sad, and honestly, kinda lazy.
A game isn't a story. It doesn't follow story logic unless everyone agrees it does.

Micah Sweet

Because I prefer truth, honestly, and because I see the players of the game and the setting of the game as separate things. From the players perspective, things Earth humans can't do are supernatural or magical. Denying that because.. you don't like labels? Just seems silly to me.

Micah Sweet

And yet, I have never never cracked upon a fantasy story that opens by telling me that all the contents of that story are made up, and have no bearing on reality.

Seems weird I would need it for a game called Dungeons and DRAGONS, to inform me that it will not be dealing with the real-world.
A game is not a story. It doesn't follow story logic unless everyone involved agrees it does.

Micah Sweet

I don't think we should care whether or not you follow the rules of 5e.

Additionally... why is it stupid? I can trivially point to multiple stories of heroes and other people who have swam through water in armor. Is it just stupid because you don't like it?
It's stupid because wearing full armor should make it harder to swim, because wearing full armor actually makes it harder to swim.

Micah Sweet

And some people get to be masters of their own fate, using their own power. While others get to be special because those people made them artificial enhancements to make up for their lack of having that power themselves.

I will never accept that the solution to caster/martial situations is giving martials magical items made by casters, to imitate their abilities.
It doesn't have to be gear, although the stories you keep talking about often use that method. You could also give the nartials supernatural abilities. What you can't do IMO is give your martials supernatural abilities but pretend you didn't, because you don't like labels.

Micah Sweet

I think it mostly comes from differences in terminology.

"The empowered souls of those blessed by the gods can allow them to transcend mortal limitations of the flesh" is kind of the same as saying "it's magic". I think it is largely just useful as a catch-all, because explicit explanations will always be specific to the setting.
Everyone except fighters and rogues get explicit explanations though, even though D&D covers many settings.

Remove ads