D&D 5E The Magical Martial

Chaosmancer

Legend
Since when have you actually proposed an ability? Instead, you're just as unwilling to let the ability's provenance go as I am, to be fair.

-

I wonder if you could implement a system like the Weapon Mastery system. Call it Skill Focus.

Give certain classes Skill Focus at level 5 or so, letting them pick a number of skills. Then in the skill section, have different abilities that are unlocked by a combo of skill focus, level/proficiency, and expertise.

Oh, you happen to be a fighter with medicine prof at level 5, now you can roll a DC 12 check and spend a use of a healer's kit to heal an ally 1d4+medicine modifier as an action.

Sure, you could use a DC 17 if you want to be as close to the rules as they currently stand as possible. I'd still make it a strength check with proficiency though, simply because breaking stuff is something most monsters and adventurers are well-versed in. It isn't like breaking down doors isn't common as dirt.

More importantly, it would be possible to do, which would open up things for PCs to attempt to do.

And, to put my money where my mouth is... some rules I've implemented.

First number is minimum lift
Strength score^X determined by size.
  • Tiny^1
  • Small^1.5
  • Medium ^2
  • Large^2.5
  • Huge^3
  • Gargantuan^3.5
Second number is maximum lift/push/drag, First score x 2

Lifting More
You may attempt to Lift/Push/Drag more with the following Athletics rolls
DC 15 = Maximum Lift/Push/Drag x 1.25
DC 20 = Maximum Lift/Push/Drag x 1.50
DC 25 = Maximum Lift/Push/Drag x 2.00

This was very vague, as it was come up with on the fly, and I haven't st down and crunched numbers

As a free action (meaning it costs nothing from your round) you can roll an Athletics check using Strength or Dex.

DC 15 = you can move an additional 5 ft.
With every 5 points of DC increasing the distance by 5ft
If you are using your action to Dash, double those feet.

You get a number of "charges" during a fight or scene equal to your Con modifier for "free". After that, using this might result in exhaustion or maybe even hp loss.

Also, this is not without risk. If your total result is between 10 and 15, you waste it.
If what you roll on the die is a 1, 2 or 3 or your total result is less than 10 you gain a level of exhaustion, maybe hp loss.

I looked for jumping rules, but can't find them right now.

What if, by level 10 or so, a martial character with Investigation could roll and on a success, they discover enough clues to actually get to "see" what happened in a room? The DM would describe to them, for example, that two men slipped in through the window, startled Mr Darcy, who ran for his sword, but he was hit by a thrown dagger with an ornate handle. The two men dragged him back to his chair, where the second used magic to seal the wound, and make it appear as though he died of natural causes.

This is something that absolutely happens in fiction, with skilled investigator characters, and if the player knew that, they might be far more interested in putting a higher Int on their character, and building towards that ability.

OR, if they want to play the jock fighter, maybe give their athletics a way to destroy scenery more easily, or an ability to ignore environmental damage and effects through sheer toughness (Oden standing for an hour in a pot of boiling oil to save his men from execution)

There are things that would allow us to compete or exceed spells, things we lack, and can't build towards.

One thing I would like, but I know would be a bear to balance, is to have skills do more.

For an egregious example of what is wrong, look to the Medicine Skill. Medicine... is worthless. You cannot use medicine to heal people. You cannot use medicine to cure disease or poison. The best use for medicine in terms of actually dealing with injuries is to stabilize a dying creature... which the 10 gp healer's kit let's you do regardless of skill prof. Even doing things like looking at a corpse to see what killed them is something you can also do with an investigation skill.

And that is just basic, mundane uses for the skill. Going beyond that to what the limits of magical, fantastical medicine can be aren't even on the table.

Let's take that ability I listed before. Investigation check to "see" a replay of the events that happened in this location. Does it work as a non-magical ability? Yes. Does it work as a magical ability? Also yes.

What if we gave fighters the ability to roll a con save against an effect that causes automatic damage on their turn, to reduce that damage to its minimum amount. Does that work as a non-magical ability? Yes. Does it work as a magical ability? Also yes.

Rolling medicine to actually heal hit points and cure diseases and poisons? Non-Magical? Yes. Magical? Yes.

Action surge and indomitable work both as non-magical and magical effects. Same with second wind. Heck, you could take the fighting styles and make them work both ways.

Sure, literally jumping over a mountain is likely a bit much. Other than teleportation or plane shift even casters can't move that far in a single action.

But what about jumping 100 ft? That is literally 1/5 of what it is possible for a caster to do in a single action. Is that more doable?

One thing I absolutely think would help is getting back to basics and looking at the environment.

True Fact! There is no roll for climbing a normal climbable surface. The rules state that climbing rolls can be made in extreme conditions. So, let's say the rogue/fighter wants to run into an alley and free-hand climb a three story house... Well, they can climb at half movement speed, and as long as there is no time limit, they can just do that. It would take them six seconds to clamber up that building if they dashed.

True Fact! Baseline high Jump rules allow a character with a 16 strength to jump and their feet clear a six foot height. A fighter/rogue with a high strength (or using the thief dex abilities) can casually jump over the head of most humanoids. Additionally, a 16 strength fighter can reach a ledge that is (on average) 14.745 ft above them. This means that they can trivially, without rolling or major exertion, run up to a two story house, jump, grab the edge of a window, and pull themselves up it.

These are feats of level 1 characters. A level 3 Rogue Thief should be able to, in a single span of six seconds, run into an alley, jump up and grab a second story window, kick off that to land on a third story balcony across the alley, then proceed to climb up the ivy on the side of the building to a height of approximately the 7th story of the building.

There are two things that should be added to this.

1) Let Fighter/Rogues add their proficiency to their jumps and adjust long-jump distances as well as fix the weirdness of its interaction with movement speed (you shouldn't only jump 5ft instead of the 30 you should clear, just because you ran up first). I like the idea of calculating sets of 5 ft based off their bonuses (so a fighter with a +4 strength and +3 prof jumps 35 ft) and leaving non-martials with the strength score method.

2) Let Martial Characters destroy the environment more. Right now, a 20th level fighter with a normal warhammer is potentially destroying a stone wall in three to four swings... the exact same that a 1st level fighter might accomplish. And that is even if the DM allows it, and that is even if the players think of it. A DM might allow an Ogre to charge through a wooden wall in a dramatic flair to attack the players, but they almost never allow the players to bust through walls or destroy floors or ceilings in the same manner.

How many fighter/rogues have been allowed to stab an enemy through a wooden wall? Or pull the classic of reaching through a wall to grapple an enemy? Wooden walls and doors should not make you safe from a mid-to-high level fighter. Hiding inside a wagon shouldn't make you safe from the rogue shooting you through the wagon's walls. These people live in a world that is destructible, let them feel like they are capable of shattering wood and cracking stone with ease.

And, after you implement such rules REMIND the players. Your rogue isn't used to thinking of the fact that they can jump OVER the knight's head to escape, your fighter isn't used to seeing a barred wooden door and realizing it isn't actually an obstacle that can stop them. And once you have players who are used to thinking in this way, then you are going to see a change in how those classes feel to those players.

Since when? Oh, once or twice. I also said I was happy with these:

I'll add another houserule we've been using which helps Fighters in such situations, another of @DND_Reborn's work:

Action Surge can be used to multiple the lifting and jumping capabilities of the PC by a factor equal to the proficiency bonus.

So, your PC can lift 420 lbs at level 1? Spend your Action Surge and it doubles to 840. At level 5, it triples, and level 9, it quadruples, etc.

Your PC can jump 18 feet with their STR 18? Spend your Action Surge and it doubles to 36, then goes to 48, etc.

This way, a Fighter anyway, can perform superhuman (IRL) but plausible actions in a fantasy game.

It wouldn't be hard to expand this to allow Rage to perform similarly. But I don't know if I could as easily see it going to other martials. Monks have Step of the Wind, a Rogue using Cunning Action might be able to jump further maybe?

All in all, it just comes down to how far you want things to go. At Fighter 17+ with STR 20, you can normally lift 300 lbs, but with the above Action Surge it would be 1800 lbs. If you were a goliath or had some other "Powerful build"-type feature, it could go as high as 3600 lbs! If your typical Ogre weighs about 1000 lbs, either of these would be enough to lift an Ogre overhead, etc.

Also, another idea I've been thinking of is a modification to Rage. Instead of the way it works, what if Rage increased the Barbarian's Strength by your proficiency bonus???

In levels 1-4, it would be a +1 to Strength-based attacks and damage, instead of just +2 damage. Of ocurse a +1 to Strength checks is not as good as advantage, it helps a bit.

However, look at what becomes possible IF you ever got to level 20? You have unlimited rages, and with Primal Champion could have a Strength 24, bumped up to 30 while raging!!! Time for some fun working the numbers:

Str 30 x 30 = 900 lbs, go Goliath => 1800, go Bear Totem => 3600, allow Rage to multiple lift / jump like Action Sure, and now you have 21600 lbs-- over 10 tons. I think such a system which is build for such power, in a fantasy game and at level 20, while most definitely superhuman, would be acceptable to many groups.

Jump back to level 1. Str 20 x 30 = 600 lbs, Goliath is 1200, Rage x2 would make it 2400 lbs, roughly twice the real-world limit for humans currently. Since this is a raging Goliath barbarian, is that too much of a stretch at level 1? Not IMO.

ezo

I cast invisibility
To me, a distinction without a purpose.
The distinction is to the purpose.

Joe Farmer my PC meets while walking to the town is not "supernatural" because he is human. He just isn't. Now, my PC is a 20th level Paladin who can basically transform for a brief period into an avenging angel of Death. My PC is also human. He's not supernatural because he's human, he's supernatural because he's a 20th level Paladin and that class grants him supernatural features/abilities.

We don't say that Elves are no longer elves because they are adventurers, or that goblins are no longer goblins because they are adventurers.
You sort of missed the point I think.

And if we start saying that anyone with class levels, feats, class abilities, monster statblocks... are exceptions... then is that not just effort and opportunity?
Compared to the nameless masses that exist in most game worlds IME? Yes.

An Acolyte (creature) can be any (medium...) humanoid race. That race might be supernatural compared to humans, but the creature is supernatural because it can cast spells, which the nameless masses can't do.

I can't perform surgery, it isn't because "Humans" are incapable of it and only "human doctors" are capable of it. If you don't want the commoners able to throw fire and leap tall buildings while carrying the family horse... just make it a matter of training, effort, and opportunity. Just like real-life.
I don't see what any of that has to do with our discussion. Supernatural abilities (e.g. features, spells, etc.) in D&D for humans is present because either:

A) they are a PC or NPC, given class and levels and features and spells or whatever, or
B) they are a creature whose stat block gives them supernatural abilities (features, spells, etc.)

In case A, the player or DM (in the case of NPCs) makes those choices. In the second case, it is either the game designers or the DM (for homebrew content).

Mundane character. I guess it could be an elven fighter vs. The T-Rex.
In either case..it is not just a mundane character. It is also a fantasy character.

And that means that they could have just eaten their mundane fantasy Wheaties and did their mundane fantasy martial arts training..

And that was sufficient to best the T-Rex..

That..

Or it was a boxing match, and they capitalized on the reach advantage.

ezo

I cast invisibility
1715216172325.png

Chaosmancer

Legend
Fair enough. For the record, I like the skill focus idea. I would also note that your evidence suggests I'm not exactly blocking people from coming up with ideas.

Yeah, it has been so easy for me to come up with ideas, that you didn't even realize I had done so, and you hadn't even read the idea I've talked about the most.

Chaosmancer

Legend
The distinction is to the purpose.

Joe Farmer my PC meets while walking to the town is not "supernatural" because he is human. He just isn't. Now, my PC is a 20th level Paladin who can basically transform for a brief period into an avenging angel of Death. My PC is also human. He's not supernatural because he's human, he's supernatural because he's a 20th level Paladin and that class grants him supernatural features/abilities.

You sort of missed the point I think.

Compared to the nameless masses that exist in most game worlds IME? Yes.

An Acolyte (creature) can be any (medium...) humanoid race. That race might be supernatural compared to humans, but the creature is supernatural because it can cast spells, which the nameless masses can't do.

I don't see what any of that has to do with our discussion. Supernatural abilities (e.g. features, spells, etc.) in D&D for humans is present because either:

A) they are a PC or NPC, given class and levels and features and spells or whatever, or
B) they are a creature whose stat block gives them supernatural abilities (features, spells, etc.)

In case A, the player or DM (in the case of NPCs) makes those choices. In the second case, it is either the game designers or the DM (for homebrew content).

See, but here is the problem.

Because humans are not supernatural, if the human happens to pick the class of fighter or rogue, we are not allowed to give them abilities that are "not possible" for humans to accomplish IRL. Point in fact, no one has really ever talked about the faceless nameless masses, because we don't particularly care about them.

If more specifically, if the DM has Joe Farmer grow house-sized pumpkins, are we supposed to tell the DM that he can't do that? Or that he isn't allowed to grow a flower in his hand to attempt to woo a party member? IT would be unexpected for a nameless, faceless, common NPC to do that... but is it not allowed?

The thing is, if we want to really dig into the consistency of the in-world fictional universe, magic doesn't come from class lists. The difference between a dwarf with magic and one without magic isn't that one has the "wizard class" tacked onto his soul. Magic ends up being something trained, learned, earned, ect ect ect for the millions of ways it could happen. So, just because a human fighter is capable of a feat of amazing athleticism, doesn't mean that Joe Farmer is capable of it. Just like the existence of Usain Bolt doesn't mean that I can suddenly run 27.7 miles per hour. Just like to be a world-class sprinter takes training, diet, and all the things that go into that, being a fighter capable of amazing feats would require the same.

And, I can guarantee... it works. The world building remains consistent. Things still function and the nameless faceless masses are still nameless, faceless, and utterly mundane. It is just that instead of "you could train to be a soldier or an elite soldier" the scale is "you could train to be a soldier, an elite soldier or a super soldier"

Clint_L

Hero
See, but here is the problem.

Because humans are not supernatural, if the human happens to pick the class of fighter or rogue, we are not allowed to give them abilities that are "not possible" for humans to accomplish IRL.
Eldritch Knight
Echo Knight
Arcane Archer
Psi Warrior
Rune Knight
Arcane Trickster
Soulknife

Remove ads