• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 The impact of revised 3E on monster design

Krishnath

First Post
Hmm... It looks like the slivers would be getting more skill points rather than less... I like.

And geo, I still hate your idea :D

Knight Otu

First Post
Geocorona said:
If it were on the list, you can be assured it would say "NONE" on the righthand side.
If someone had asked me, I would have guessed that they get the same number as animals do, but considering that they have no Int score, None might fit as well... :)

Geocorona

First Post
I would hope they don't force every monster to have a feat. Extra feats could always be added as racial qualities, so it doesn't seem necessary.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
the Jester said:
Do you think vermin, plants, constructs and oozes will get feats now? They've said every monster will have at least one feat...

According to Rich Redman, one of the authors,

Oozes don't get skills or feats, according to the MM. And since they don't have senses equivalent to humanoid, can't speak, and can't handle humanoid tools, they don't meet the qualifications we spelled out in Chapter 1.

Knight Otu

First Post
From the news page:

Revision 3.5 Update by Ed Stark. The new damage reduction rules explained. The list of indicator types that can be used are: Magic (magic weapons), Epic (weapons with a +6 or greater indicator), Alignment, Special material (silver, adamantine, cold iron -- each will have creation rules and costs), Nothing (affects all weapons). The article also describes how the monk's unarmed attacks reflect the new rules (Magic at level 4, Lawful at level 10, Adamantine at level 16), and mentions a new spell, align weapon. There won't be any spells to imbue weapons with a special material aura.

Knight Otu

First Post
The recent spotlights showed how natural attacks will penetrate DR or not - it is specifically spelled out at the end of the combat section.

Gez

First Post
I think I'll keep some elements of 3.0. For example, I like that DR 10/silver is not bypassed by say, mithril or magic weapons, but I think that DR/magic and DR/epic are oversimplification. I still want to be able to use monsters that need a +2 sword to be hit, for example.

(About the old debate about types and subtypes, I was against the monstrous humanoid type because it is, IMHO, badly used. Centaurs are immune to charm person, but sahuagin, not being deemed monstrous, are not... On the other hand, ormyrrs really deserve to be aberrations...)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads