• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

I wish that was already a thing. At least from some of the luminaries we’ve already lost and some that cannot be long for this world.
There has to be some of it out there now, but it'll be scattered around blogs and forums and random social media sites, and finding examples is more a matter of luck than anything else. The OSR community has preserved some D&D camapigns that way, but digging up "war stories" for (say) early Traveller is a lot harder, and when it comes to less popular games gods help you. For ex, I'd kind of like to know what people actually did with some of the FGU games back in the day, but if there's a Space Opera or Bushido campaign memoir out there I've never seen it. I was lucky enough to randomly stumble on a titanic V&V diary that spanned decades and hundreds of sessions from multiple groups one GM ran - and then lost the url and I've never found it since.

Ryujin

Legend
There has to be some of it out there now, but it'll be scattered around blogs and forums and random social media sites, and finding examples is more a matter of luck than anything else. The OSR community has preserved some D&D camapigns that way, but digging up "war stories" for (say) early Traveller is a lot harder, and when it comes to less popular games gods help you. For ex, I'd kind of like to know what people actually did with some of the FGU games back in the day, but if there's a Space Opera or Bushido campaign memoir out there I've never seen it. I was lucky enough to randomly stumble on a titanic V&V diary that spanned decades and hundreds of sessions from multiple groups one GM ran - and then lost the url and I've never found it since.
Somewhere down the line my notes for my old 1e D&D campaign, a couple of Space Opera campaigns, Star Frontiers, and FASA Star Trek all went missing. I expect that my mother 'cleaned house', at some point, and tossed the lot thinking it was old notes from high school or college that were no longer needed. Pity, that, as I was especially fond of what I did in Space Opera. The players and I negotiated their real world stats which were, quite honestly, rather pathetic. I then ran them through a limited invasion of Earth by the Korellian Empire, their capture as slaves, training as Janissaries (in which their stats were increased to match their professions), and their escape from captivity. One of the players even managed to take down a Korellian trooper with his 30-06, before capture.

See, that's the sort of thing I'd like to see more of.
The players and I negotiated their real world stats which were, quite honestly, rather pathetic.
That happened in V&V regularly too. Using the "real you" stats doesn't work well when your players are still in puberty and the NPC villains aren't. We eventually just gave up and started rolling for stats after the bad guys TPK'd our 14 year-old "heroes" one too many times. :)

Ryujin

Legend
See, that's the sort of thing I'd like to see more of.

That happened in V&V regularly too. Using the "real you" stats doesn't work well when your players are still in puberty and the NPC villains aren't. We eventually just gave up and started rolling for stats after the bad guys TPK'd our 14 year-old "heroes" one too many times. :)
Space Opera was pretty much the perfect system for that sort of thing, as you could "top up" your stats with the profession training stat bonus points. I also gave them all 17 scores in Psionics, which is one point below starting the game "psionically awakened." The Korellians have psionic tech that involves embedding crystals into the forehead, that increases Psionics by one point per crystal. One crystal and they'd be able to start learning psionic abilities. Two and they'd have obtained "Telergy and Self-Awareness", so they could even increase their stats more. Sadly we never got to that stage and they never found out what I'd done with PSI.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Why are you trying to kill people?

35% boredom, 35% entertainment value, 30% for the challenge...

Well, you asked.

(Okay, you didn't ask me, but...)

What meetings have you attended where someone has showed up and engaged in "bedtime activities"!?

My office really is dull.

Clearly, you've never been to Singapore a Rocky Horror picture Show convention... :cool:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Obvious Realization was obvious.
Also:
Willy Wonka Oompa Loompa GIF

Remove ads