• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I keep forgetting that's only common parlance for the manga/anime/otaku community. The concept's obviously not original to them, but the word is and it's handier than, say, portal fantasy (which isn't a perfect fit for a lot of isekai anyway). You could probably call both Quag and Guardians portal fantasies just as accurately, but the metatext of characters being PCs within (or outside of) a game makes them seem more specifically isekai-ish to me.

Now, did you stumble across the Truck-kun meme while looking up the definition of iekai? :)

Oh, and I thought of another few books.

There were at least two and possibly three novels based on the Castle Falkenstein RPG that do a decent job of feeling like they're something that could have happened in the game, helped by the fact that Tom Olam (one of the protags) is metatextually from our universe in the first place, with the RPG supposedly being written to introduce the concept of RPGs to the folks in the game setting and then ported back here later. From Prussia With Love and Masterminds of Falkenstein are both by John DeChancie, and while they aren't quite up to his Skyway trilogy they're probably his second best work. Supposedly there's a third book (again by him) called League of Dragons but it may never have been printed - never saw it and even Amazon doesn't have it, but it left footprints on the internet so maybe it got written at least.

I'm honestly not sure if Nick Pollotta's Bureau 13 books count here or not, but they were explicitly based on Tri-Tac's Bureau 13: Tripping the Night Fantastic urban horror/comedy RPG, share a similar sense of quirky humor, and IIRC there are a few meta references that indicate that at least some characters are aware they're in someone else's fictional RPG. His writing on them is good enough to merit a look regardless of whether they're litRPG books or not - as is Illegal Aliens, an old TSR novel he co-wrote with Phil Foglio (of What's New? and Girl Genius fame). The guy does lightly comedic adventure stuff well when he feels like it.
No, I hadn't noticed the truck-kun meme. But I'm totally going to verb that and use it out of context in my daily life now. Whenever a co-worker expresses feelings of "how the hell did we end up here" (an unfortunately commonplace occurrence in my work) I can say "you've been truck-kunned!"

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
When folks see TL;DR do you think "too long; didnt read" out, or do you do what I do and think "till dear"?
Even though I know the actual meaning, I always read it as "Too late, didn't revise." Seems apt in most situations where people use it. Reminds me of my favorite quote attributed to Mark Twain: "I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time."

Remove ads