The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

439493463_838915814922615_8203041533055741866_n.jpg

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Use two words together and tell me you don't know what they mean, without telling me you don't know what those two words mean.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Use two words together and tell me you don't know what they mean, without telling me you don't know what those two words mean.

It's hard to think of words you don't know the meaning of.

"The fusilier colonnade was awe inspiring as it flew overhead on its bombing run!"

(I actually had a guess for both, but had no idea what a fusil was and missed by a bit, but was totally off on colonnade).

prabe

Supporter
It's hard to think of words you don't know the meaning of.

"The fusilier colonnade was awe inspiring as it flew overhead on its bombing run!"

(I actually had a guess for both, but had no idea what a fusil was and missed by a bit, but was totally off on colonnade).
True, but it's usually obvious if someone uses a word without knowing what it means--reaching for "colonnade" when you mean "cannonade", for instance. I've seen someone in a published book reach for "mortified" and land on "mollified."

(Without looking the words up, "fusilier" is IIRC something like a grenadier--a soldier-type who specializes in explosives and such, and "colonnade" is something like a loggia with columns as more of a featured feature--an exterior architectural thing, with columns.)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
True, but it's usually obvious if someone uses a word without knowing what it means--reaching for "colonnade" when you mean "cannonade", for instance. I've seen someone in a published book reach for "mortified" and land on "mollified."

(Without looking the words up, "fusilier" is IIRC something like a grenadier--a soldier-type who specializes in explosives and such, and "colonnade" is something like a loggia with columns as more of a featured feature--an exterior architectural thing, with columns.)

That must be why I was think colonnade sounded explosive! (I knew it was architectural, but for some reason was thinking it was like ornate decoration). I knew a fusilier was a soldier of some sort (royal fusilier from a Pink Floyd song? - I was thinking they were ceremonial) but not that a fusil was a flintlock musket.

prabe

Supporter
That must be why I was think colonnade sounded explosive! (I knew it was architectural, but for some reason was thinking it was like ornate decoration). I knew a fusilier was a soldier of some sort (royal fusilier from a Pink Floyd song? - I was thinking they were ceremonial) but not that a fusil was a flintlock musket.
That's "When the Tigers Broke Free," from the movie of The Wall, it does seem as though the name stuck long after muskets had been obviated as military weapons; and "cannonaded colonnades" was a phrase in a song Brian Wilson presented to the Beach Boys when he was trying to get Smile recorded. (if I remember right, Mike Love blew up over it and the lyricist, whose name I've forgotten, quit)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I'm trying to remember which NPR quiz show had a segment where the panelists made up definitions to a word and the contestant has to guess which one is the real one.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Rings a vague bell. Call My Bluff?

Had to go googling Says you!" had this in Wikipedia:

"Rounds 2 and 4 are the Bluffing Rounds. Similar to the game show Liar's Club and the radio show Call My Bluff, the three members of one team are given an obscure word (e.g. cacafuego); one of them gets the actual definition, and the other two must bluff with fake definitions composed during a brief musical interlude, traditionally provided by a live musical guest. The other team attempts to determine the correct definition from the three presented. Ten points are awarded for guessing or bluffing successfully."

Remove ads