The Ethics of Two Way Ignore

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So, I am curious what others think: is it "okay" to make it so people on your ignore list cannot see your posts or (more importantly) your threads?
I view it as repugnant. I don't mind someone wanting to hide my posts from them. Nobody should have to read my posts if they don't want to. Forcing me to in effect block them, though, that's down right crappy. In all my time here there has only been one person that I've blocked. As a general rule I don't block anyone, since I view everyone as having something worthwhile to say at least some of the time and I don't want to miss something good by blinding myself to their words.

@Umbran did something change so that we can't see threads started by people that have us blocked? I've been having a discussion in one for a while now and suddenly it's gone.

Reynard

Legend
I view it as repugnant. I don't mind someone wanting to hide my posts from them. Nobody should have to read my posts if they don't want to. Forcing me to in effect block them, though, that's down right crappy. In all my time here there has only been one person that I've blocked. As a general rule I don't block anyone, since I view everyone as having something worthwhile to say at least some of the time and I don't want to miss something good by blinding myself to their words.

@Umbran did something change so that we can't see threads started by people that have us blocked? I've been having a discussion in one for a while now and suddenly it's gone.
If they have you on two way ignore you can't see the thread.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
If they have you on two way ignore you can't see the thread.
I have been able to post in such threads in the past. Folks who I can't see posts from have started threads that I have entered and posted on, and been unable to see further posts from them. I've done that a lot, including the thread that I was just in. It seems like something changed yesterday.

Reynard

Legend
I have been able to post in such threads in the past. Folks who I can't see posts from have started threads that I have entered and posted on, and been unable to see further posts from them. I've done that a lot, including the thread that I was just in. It seems like something changed yesterday.
They put you on ignore yesterday.

Reynard

Legend
No. I'm telling you that people I know have had me on ignore for a long time have started threads that I have participated in and not been able to see any posts from them other than the OP.
What I am saying is that there is an additional setting in Ignore that you can check to make it so people you ignore also can't see your posts. That switch probably got flipped, whether intentionally or due to a bug.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
What I am saying is that there is an additional setting in Ignore that you can check to make it so people you ignore also can't see your posts. That switch probably got flipped, whether intentionally or due to a bug.

Morrus has a post on it here from Feb 2021: EN World - Privacy Controls: Two-Way Blocking

At least previously two way ignore did not hide initial posts in threads. (I know there is one person I have only been able to see initial posts from for quite awhile... haven't seen one lately so don't know how I'd check if it changed).

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Reynard, one of the features of that setting was that you could still see the opening posts of posters that blocked you with that setting so that you would see the threads and not essentially be thread banned by a user.

Remove ads