• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Back Room

SeaPainter

First Post
The group has led to a good-sized, well-appointed room that the innkeeper apparently maintains for private meetings. It seems that one of the tavern wenches has already been around, as there is a tray of hot & cold drinks at the center of the table, and the sideboard has been stocked with fresh platters of steaming breads & meats. Reggie stands by the door, allowing the group to enter before him... although even after everyone is inside he still waits a moment longer before following.

As people are preparing plates of food, Reggie moves to the head of the table to take a seat. He gives you all a chance to settle in before he begins...

"This is something I have never done before... I don't ordinarily employ mercenaries to perform tasks, and as a result I am unfamiliar with the protocols. So I will leave it to you to determine what sort of personnel you require for this, all I can tell you for now is what I am willing to pay for your services... which is 500 gold." With that said, he pauses to look over the gathering. "The details of the case are to be confidential, so there is nothing more I can disclose until contracts are signed. Thank you for your time, Gentleman..."

[sblock=OOC]As I said, the adventure is designed for 5 players (4 will be rough, and I might be able to stretch to fit 6).

Skill challenges will play as much (if not more) of a role, than combat encounters (that is, as long as the skill challenges succeed there will be less combat)... so your balance of skills (both social & knowledge) will be just as important as your ability to swap steel. So feel free to debate your party layout, and if we can't find a leader to join then I'll make some adjustments so y'all still have healing.

Any questions?[/sblock]

hafrogman

Adventurer
Tristan follows the others into the room. He hasn't exactly been invited, but the gentleman in question seemed like he needed any help he could get. He listens quietly to Reggie's introduction, ignoring the food for now.

"One, is that fee per person, or a lump sum for the ring's retrieval? Two, do you have copies of the contracts that you wish us to sign? I'd rather read it before I agree to anything. You understand."

RedBeardJim

First Post
"One, is that fee per person, or a lump sum for the ring's retrieval? Two, do you have copies of the contracts that you wish us to sign? I'd rather read it before I agree to anything. You understand."

Morvannon turned to look at the eladrin with respect. "Indeed, two excellent questions. Also, sir," he added to Reggie, "while I do respect your wish for confidentiality, our ability to, as you say, 'determine personnel' would be aided by any guesses you might have as to the sort of obstacles we'd be likely to face."

Oni

First Post
The dwarf stumped into the room, his odd collection of keys jingling as he moved. Seemingly oblivious to any discomfort his presense might be causing the others he makes himself at home chuckling quietly to himself.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Haruka follows the others into the room. She sits at the table, not next to the dwarf, and while she looks expectantly at the food, she seems hesitant to be the first one to begin eating.

At the mention of contracts, Haruka furrows her brow. “Contracts? Is this the norm for this sort of matter?”

[sblock=OOC]Hey Jim, I don’t want to step on your toes, so if the group finds someone more important than a second warlock, I’ll drop out.[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
A mud-spattered woman in brown clothes with leather-padded armor steps into the room, not offensively she interrupts the proceedings. Her brown hair hangs over her emerald-green eyes like moss outside a cave. Her small frame is not small enough to disguise strength of will and wit.

"The man behind the man behind the bar said you would hire. For the right price, I'll offer you my bow. You may call me Mikara Li Mesadh."

She finds a seat and waits to see which one of these creatures is presiding over the meeting.

[sblock=OOC]See more of Mikara's description in the tavern thread. Stats can be found following the link on my signature.[/sblock]

SeaPainter

First Post
[sblock=OOC]there may also be a cleric coming in soon too[/sblock]
"Those are indeed excellent questions... that rate is a lump sum for the ring's return to me. I apologize if I was at first unclear." Reggie looks around the table, including the newcomers, before continuing, "as far as the contracts go, I am in the practice of drawing up some form of documentation to insure that a deal is kept as it was made. Now, I do not intend to tell you all how to do your business... so, if you let me know whose names will be going on these contracts (he holds up some parchments), then we can discuss the details of this case... after that, you can attempt to renegotiate if you feel my terms are unfair. Agreed?"

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Mikara walks up to Reggie and looks him in the eye as she takes a parchement from his hands.

"I fear not death, nor do I love money. You want a ring. I simply want a cause. If that's what you expect, then I accept."

She carefully reads the parchment.

CaBaNa

First Post
A shifter in dark orchid robes stands in the door, listening as the speaker finishes. Before fully stepping into the room, Kamotz gives a soft knock so as not to startle the company inside. [sblock=OOC]Cheers, I'd be the cleric... Hope to keep you all alive, and hitting with your attacks. looking forward to my first PBP, already signed up for invisible castle, and awaiting my characters approval.[/sblock]

As far as I understand, at least one person in this room may be facing Death, I'd like to stick around for that possible occurrence. If I may read your contract, I'm likely to sign, as this girl has openly declared she walks toward Death of her own volition... My name is Kamotz, K.A.M.O.T.Z. I will only be renegotiating if this trek does not produce bodies...

Kamotz address' the muddy girl with the bow.
Getting to know you before you pass would make my notes much easier, I hope you don't mind the company of a cleric.

Last edited:

ukingsken

First Post
We seem to have an abundance of help here but as I said before, let us get on with this so I can return to my ale.

As vashik growls he stares around the room counting as one after another people funnel into the tiny room. He steps towards Reggie and holds his hand out waiting for the documentation.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads