• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Tell me about the "coinage" in your homebrews!

Robbs

First Post
I guess I should have added this, but was going too fast. On the topic of paper money, or exotic materials, you have to bear in mind the purpose and reach of money. On the paper front we see it today, you get factors like inflation and counterfitting. When it is just paper (or something else that is not hard to get your hands on or expensive to manufacture) how do you prevent either the government from printing more or certain unscrupulous types from making money the old-fashioned way-the easiest way to make money is to make money! Will coinage that leaves the area hold any value? The benefit of gold and such is the innate value of gold. Now the token concept (moneychangers who convert outside coin into scrip or such for local business) allows the local government a lot of control over finances in the area. You could even go a step further (in a REALLY totalitarian system) and have no money, just bankers who handle any transaction over some arbitrary amount. That way the government really knows how much its people have and what they are doing with it. Oh, and technically they would be signing off on any purchase therefore exerting control. And much of this stuff depends upon how stable and far reaching your various cities/countries/empires are. You need a critical mass, sizewise, to warrant these currencies otherwise you are probably just talking mostly barter. The old "anyone got change for a platinum?" problem.
Now part of the fun is exchange rate issues, especially as the coinage gets funky. Iron Kingdoms does some fun stuff with that, and they list various coinages and such. Which might be a better solution. It's getting late and I'm rambling...
I probably should have just posted the Iron Kingdoms part!

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Robbs said:
On the paper front we see it today, you get factors like inflation and counterfitting. When it is just paper (or something else that is not hard to get your hands on or expensive to manufacture) how do you prevent either the government from printing more or certain unscrupulous types from making money the old-fashioned way-the easiest way to make money is to make money!

Well, this isn't really an issue in the setting that I pulled the example from for some reasons that aren't immediately obvious in the post above. Let me post a bit more:

Unfinished Setting said:
Marked on the horizon by plumes of flame and smoke, the industrial city state of Stahlfel is a wretched hive of scum and villainy, simultaneously serving as a massive mining complex and commercial prison. While it boasts a great many technological wonders, the city state is only frequented by those who seek to purchase a large quantity of star metal or offload a large quantity of law breakers.

History

In the times immediately following the Great Cataclysm, metal was in high demand and, among all of the world’s many mining communities, the largest that remained was the small city of Stahlfel. This alone would not have ensured the city’s continued existence, but as it happened, the massive meteor crater, upon the edge of which Stahlfel stood, was the sole remaining source of the ‘star metal’ (a metal that exhibits the properties of a liquid) in the world.

As the sole provider of this must sought after metal, Stahlfel’s emergence as a center of industry was all but guaranteed. When the House Warden seized control of the city some three aeons past, introducing their contractual labor program and offering to rid surrounding lands of their criminal populace, Stahlfel’s fate was sealed.

Social Organization

Ostensibly the top of Stahlfel’s social ladder is embodied by the Mayor of the city state, but he is merely a puppet whose strings are pulled by the corrupt politicians of House Warden who reside within the Iron Tower. The undisputed lords of Stahlfel, the many members of House Warden use a strict regimen of fear to keep the lower classes in line.

Just one rung down from the members of House Warden on the social ladder, one finds the engineers and geologists, those indispensable fixtures of industry in Stahlfel. These folk command a degree of respect from House Warden, for without them, the thralls would not know where to dig and the many machines of the city state would fall into disrepair.

One rung up from the bottom of the social ladder loom the sadistic overseers and slavers who man the many ore pits of the meteor crater, ensuring that the thralls do as they are told and administering them their daily dose of Khopri powder. In the eyes of Stahlfel’s upper classes, overseers and slavers are seen as little better than the thralls that they drive.

Finally, you have the thralls themselves, prisoners committed to the ‘care’ of Stahlfel’s overseers by neighboring realms. For them, life in the city state is a punishment - the only right that they have is to earn their freedom by fulfilling a contract, working a prescribed number of seasons in the ore pits. Thralls rarely live to fulfill these contracts.

Economy

Nearly all of Stahlfel’s wealth resides in the hands of House Warden who. Stahlfel alone, amongst all of the Twilight realms, is the sole source of the much sought after ‘star metal’, a condition that the members of House Warden exploit to their own ends, imposing a massive tariff on all exports of the liquid steel from the city.

Vital as they are to the city’s continued existence, both engineers and geologists live quite well in Stahlfel, while overseers and slavers are paid just enough to scrape by (that said, most of them don’t care - they work specifically for the thrill of torturing others). Thralls, of course, are paid nothing for their labor - they work to earn their freedom.

Currency

The official currency of Stahlfel is the voucher, a printed paper note that is redeemable within the city’s walls for goods and services. By law, only members of House Warden may deal in currencies other than the voucher - all foreign currency that an individual possesses must be converted into vouchers for the duration their stay in Stahlfel.

Religion

In a society such as Stahlfel’s, where technology and science drive the economy, religion has little place. The common citizen of the city state has no interest or belief in religious icons, although it is rumored that the members of House Warden are devoted to a foul god-thing that resembles a giant, three-headed, toad.

Thralls are expressly forbidden by law to engage in any type of god worship (much as they are expressly forbidden to engage in any activity that may distract them from their labor in the ore pits), although rumors persist of secret shrines dedicated to gods of old, hidden deep within the bowels of abandoned mine shafts.

Food & Drink

Diet varies wildly among the social classes of Stahlfel. Members of House Warden dine regularly on fresh meat and hard cheese, while sipping wine imported from nearby New Midran. The city’s middle classes, on the other hand, often enjoys salted meats and stout ale in the local taverns, while overseers and slavers subsist on a diet of hard bread and water. Finally, the thralls have a diet all their own....

Once per shift a thrall is fed a bowl of flesh that has been harvested from the dead bodies of other thralls and reprocessed into a thick, stew-like, substance that is then spiked with a heavy dose of Khopri powder. Finally, at the beginning of every rotation during a shift, the slaver in charge of a given work team distributes to each thrall in his charge a ladle of dirty water to stave off the effects o heat stroke.

Clothing & Dress

Sitting comfortably in their tower, high above the ore pits far below, the members of House Warden arraign themselves in velvet robes, tunics of white silk, and cotton breeches. When they must depart their tower, they dress as normal citizens, lest they be identified and attacked by a disgruntled underling or crazed thrall.

The city state’s middle and lower classes, on the other hand, dress for work. All, save the thralls, wear leather breaches, canvas tunics, thick boots, and glass goggles to protect themselves from the many dangers of the ore pits. To distinguish between the members of the middle and lower class citizens working in the ore pits, emblems denoting their station have been emblazoned upon their tunics in bright yellow dye).

Finally, thralls are each issued a pair of leather breeches and a grey cotton tunic upon their arrival in the slave pens of the city. Should any part of this uniform be rendered unwearable during the term of a thrall’s work contract, they may request a replacement garment by agreeing to work for another season in the ore pits.

Architectural Trends

The city state of Stahlfel is enclosed by a massive limestone wall measuring nearly twenty feet high and five feet thick, punctuated at eight points by the granite towers of the overseers, and dominated to the North by the iron-plated limestone tower of House Warden (the recognized nerve center of the city-state).

Within these walls and below the battlements of the high towers lies the city proper, a ramshackle tangle of single-storey limestone buildings, makeshift wooden dwellings, and poorly maintained gravel roads that haphazardly ring the ore pits and seem to shift position regularly, much as sand dunes in a desert do.

Given circumstances, counterfitting is pretty difficult to pull off in a very tightly controlled police state that may or may not be presided over by an alien god thing ;)

[Note: While I never finished the work from which this is drawn, it was recycled for use in Kumquat Tattoo, my Effing Metal Risus setting.]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
jdrakeh said:
Feel free. I stole it from history!

Spanish dollars had a nominal value of eight reales ("royals"). The coins were often physically cut into eight "bits", or sometimes four quarters, to make smaller change. This is the origin of the colloquial name "pieces of eight" for the coin, and of "quarter" and "two bits" for twenty-five cents in the United States.
Here's my idea:

There is a town in one of my kingdoms called Fallow's Cross (which I "borrowed" from 2E Realms site), and its citizens are suffering under the rule of a mad king who came to power by poisoning his father.

Fallow's Cross is known for a group of adventurers, and they are often on the run from the mad king's soldiers. The citizens see them as heroes, and they have secretly begun minting a new copper coin.

I'm going to call this coin a Cross. It will be a plain copper peice designed like the one you posted. It will be used as a clandestine currency amonst the freedom fighters of Fallow's Cross and their allies.

Ashy

First Post
IMC, which is based (loosely) on the formation of the 1st century Christian Church ('cept add magic and all manner of weird fantasy races) as it falls under Spanish Inquisition-type persecution, we use coinage called halos. As the "coin of the realm" they are made of various metals and weights, but all of them have their centers drilled out so that they resemble halos. :)

This makes them easy to carry (just string them along something) and almost impossible to fake (however, the process of "shavin' the halo" can become quite an issue in some areas...

Hope this helps.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Knightfall1972 said:
Here's my idea:

There is a town in one of my kingdoms called Fallow's Cross (which I "borrowed" from 2E Realms site), and its citizens are suffering under the rule of a mad king who came to power by poisoning his father.

Fallow's Cross is known for a group of adventurers, and they are often on the run from the mad king's soldiers. The citizens see them as heroes, and they have secretly begun minting a new copper coin.

I'm going to call this coin a Cross. It will be a plain copper peice designed like the one you posted. It will be used as a clandestine currency amonst the freedom fighters of Fallow's Cross and their allies.

Sounds cool! I really like the sound of your setting, BTW. Do you already have a thread dedicated to the setting creation process in the Plots & Places forum? If not, you should have ;)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
jdrakeh said:
Sounds cool! I really like the sound of your setting, BTW. Do you already have a thread dedicated to the setting creation process in the Plots & Places forum? If not, you should have ;)
I assume that wink means you comment in tongue-in-cheek. Regardless, you should check out link for my World of Kulan story hour ing my sig. The first post of that thread has a list of all my threads dedicated to Kulan on EN World.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
jdrakeh said:
Oh no! I was dead serious. Also, it means that I missed the link in your sig. D'oh!
Okay. Well, you'll want to start with my "Kulan: Lands of Harqual" thread (link) and then go from there. My "World of Kulan Maps" thread (link) gets a lot of my attention too. Regardless, you can find ALL the links archived in that first post of my "Worlds of Kulan Story Hour" thread.

Last edited:

Remove ads