• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Black Flag Tales of the Valiant Monster Vault Marilith Preview

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'll say what I say about all high level monsters..... They don't do magic damage or force damage, no wonder the blood war will never end.

Can anyone imagine a world where creatures this powerful don't do magic damage?

As for this monster, love the abilities.

pukunui

Legend
I'll say what I say about all high level monsters..... They don't do magic damage or force damage, no wonder the blood war will never end.

Can anyone imagine a world where creatures this powerful don't do magic damage?

As for this monster, love the abilities.
Under Flaming Weapons, it states that all the marilith’s attacks are magical.

aco175

Legend
I like how the new statblocks have a set number for perception and stealth. Makes it easier to DM, but also takes away the swing, which is sometimes good to have.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I mean, it's right there. How did I miss that? Now I'm wondering if it should be in every line, like magical melee weapon attack? That's too wordy...... So where it is should work. No idea how I missed that.

On the plus side, this is better than old designs where demons and devils cost kill each other..... Maybe call it magical flaming weapons? Again, I should have seen this, but didn't.....I was quite exhausted last night.

I mean, it's right there. How did I miss that? Now I'm wondering if it should be in every line, like magical melee weapon attack? That's too wordy...... So where it is should work. No idea how I missed that.

On the plus side, this is better than old designs where demons and devils cost kill each other..... Maybe call it magical flaming weapons? Again, I should have seen this, but didn't.....I was quite exhausted last night.
Melee spell attack

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Melee spell attack
It's not a spell. Also, I'd prefer the description day the weapons are magical and do magical damage.... So we know if a PC picks it up it's magical. It could be the maralith that makes them magical, so if they aren't inherently magical, that should be clear.

edit: It actually is clearly stated that the Marilith adds the magic/flame to ANY weapon. So that's quite clear. I should have re-read before this post. Now that I'm awake, I think this is well written.....even it's tail is magical as it is a weapon attack. I wonder how many DMs would miss that? Not likely many...

Last edited:

Positives: Bonus Action teleport is way better than Action teleport, and the minor leadership Bonus Action abilities are nice and flavorful.

Negatives: I don't personally care for the Demonic Resistance trait as it is effectively adding a paragraph to explain what it resists when it could just say that with having the relevant damage type keywords under resistances. On a related note, why is it dealing extra damage of a type that the two kinds of creatures the marilith would most likely fight (demons and devils) are either resistant or immune to? I also question why they chose to change the six longsword attacks to three pairs of two attacks with different weapons; will distinctions between bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage be more important? Specifying Reactive can only be used for Parrying is also a bit of a headscratcher as I could imagine the marilith being a whirling dervish.

Remove ads