• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Strength − Size matters

Carrying capacity can depend on Size.

A Medium character can carry a Small load without encumbrance, or a Medium load with encumbrance.

A Large character (such as a horse) can carry a Medium load without encumbrance, or a Large load with encumbrance.

This method approximates the amount of space, and never worries about calculating weight.

In my experience, encumbrance rarely comes up, except maybe when carrying an incapacitated teammate, or transporting a dragon treasure hoard. The DM can "eyeball" these kinds of situations.

If an item seems narratively awkward to carry, then the DM can request a Strength check to determine success. Such as a strong Small gnome temporarily lifting up a Large character.

So, a gnome can be super strong − but still Small. A horse can be runt but probably still able to carry a human rider. A gnome is more likely to drag a horse than carry it.

Last edited:

I guess the definition of "strength" will depend on EN Publishing's definition of "Advanced."

Everyone realizes a pixie shouldn't be as "strong" as a goliath. I mean, we do not have a one hundred-fifty pound person winning the strongman competition in real life. We have Hafthor who is an equivalent to a modern day goliath. But, we also don't have women that are any where close to the strength of Hafthor. Yet, we accept shield maiden's to be able to be as strong. Thirty years ago this might have bothered a lot more people. Maybe it is just a matter of time before we accept the pixie to be as strong?

In the end, it is a game. It should be fun. But lately, for many people, it is about trying to not step on modern day mores' toes. That is a good thing, but like all things moving forward, will have unforeseen effects in the future.

the-mountain-actor-game-of-thrones.jpg

It’s also one of those genre things. Certainly in superhero stuff or in kids’ cartoons, size and strength are often not particularly related.
One thousand percent true. Although, in cartoons, the bad guy who is really strong often looks like a powerlifter. And in the superhero genre, the "stronger" person is often shown as bigger: Thanos, Hulk, The Thing, Thor, etc.
But neither of those are the fantasy genre. It's more like a magic is infused in the Teen Titans, which makes them strong, as opposed to most fantasy books, where the hill giant is strong because of its weight.

That said, you are right. There are tons of examples to go around either way in cartoons and superhero movies.

CapnZapp

Legend
Strength − Size matters
I understand your concern, but as far as 5E goes that ship has pretty much sailed.

Other versions of the game nods to the physical reality that Strength is by far the most important ability score (out of the D&D six) for dealing damage.

But note that while Schwarzenegger was an action hero in the 80s and 90s that body type is not nearly as dominant among action heroes today. For every The Rock there's a dozen Keanu Reeveses. Not to mention female heroes. Or anime heroes. Or magical unicorns for what I know.

The time for Strength and Size to matter simply has passed. Maybe it'll come back; probably not.

In the meanwhile Level Up should probably stick to the amount of importance afforded to Strength by the 5E developers, and not much more than that.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
In modern fantasy, strength and size are not related.
Same with size and dexterity in modern fantasy. A pixie has 15 AC and not the 30 AC it should. Spearhalflings should be holding the line.

It's best for A5E to stick with the 5e base and not go down that rabbit hole.

R_J_K75

Legend
From my experiences IRL I've seen many instances whether its just demanding long hours of physical labor, feats of strength/athletics or a good old fashioned street fight, size does not matter one bit. FWIW.

glass

(he, him)
All other things being equal, bigger = stronger. But all other things do not have to be equal even in real life (see the oft-repeated chimpanzee example), and that goes double in a fantasy world. Pixies are fey creatures; there is not reason to assume that a pixie's strength has anything to do with myosin fibres contracting in response to electrical impulses.

_
glass.

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
From my experiences IRL I've seen many instances whether its just demanding long hours of physical labor, feats of strength/athletics or a good old fashioned street fight, size does not matter one bit. FWIW.

It feels like among those with similar work put into it, that size still matters a lot. Are they close to getting rid of weight classes in the fighting sports or in power lifting? Just like in D&D, in real life is it the combination of the base (pre-work) physical attributes and the work put into honing them that matters?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
In modern fantasy, strength and size are not related.

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean by "modern fantasy" here.

Do you mean literature?
Film?
TV shows?
TTRPGs?

Something else?

I haven't done an extensive survey, but my initial impression is that as a general rule there is a strong correlation between strength and size in modern fantasy. It may not be perfect, but it certainly exists.

Remove ads