• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Store owner complains about Kickstarter and Twitter and D&D

Waller

Legend

However, those crowdfunding sites are taking away sales from us at some point. I have always loved RPGs of every kind and still want to have a large selection of different RPGs, but in my two markets they rarely sell.

Additionally, many of these companies are not using crowdfunding sites for their original purpose, which is bringing a risky project forward to find a market, with as little risk as possible. At this point, all of the companies I mentioned should have moved beyond Kickstarter and focused on supporting distributors and retailers to connect with us, the retailers. But they can’t do that because Kickstarter works too well and is just too profitable to bypass.

I appreciate your point of view and I continually work to find ways to support publishers and the games they make, but even I get tired at times of D&D being the 8000 lb. Gorilla in the market.

Well my FLGS doesn't stock anything but D&D and some Pathfinder, so Kickstarter is my only option for buying other games. If my FLGS stocked the games I wanted to buy, I would buy them there. It's a self-fuflilling prophecy.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
There are three stores within easy driving distance of me that go a good bit deeper than D&D and Pathfinder. I back things, yeah, because I want to support people more directly, but I've rarely had trouble finding in-print things.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I can’t get my “f”lgs to stock anything more than D&D and Pathfinder. I can’t even get them to order stuff. So if I want anything more niche than D&D, it’s Kickstarter, Amazon, or direct orders from the company. Each of which poses problems of its own.

Hey, small game companies, I get you’re small, but maybe don’t let orders sit unshipped for more than a week. Just saying.

Sacrosanct

Legend
It's hard to get your product into distribution and have FLGS to pick it up. I know, I've been there, done that. And I am almost certain that a game like Coyote and Crow would never had the success it did if they followed standard distribution model. I would not be surprised if C&C even got picked up by a lot of retailers if they had to go through traditional methods. So it's not just that KS is more profitable, it's that you might not even have success at all with distributor-only models, even with very popular KS games.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's hard to get your product into distribution and have FLGS to pick it up. I know, I've been there, done that. And I am almost certain that a game like Coyote and Crow would never had the success it did if they followed standard distribution model. I would not be surprised if C&C even got picked up by a lot of retailers if they had to go through traditional methods. So it's not just that KS is more profitable, it's that you might not even have success at all with distributor-only models, even with very popular KS games.
Yeah. Stock our games, and we'll support you as best we can as a small publisher. It has to be a two-way street. You have to support us, too.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well my FLGS doesn't stock anything but D&D and some Pathfinder, so Kickstarter is my only option for buying other games. If my FLGS stocked the games I wanted to buy, I would buy them there. It's a self-fuflilling prophecy.

The guy hasn't thought about the numbers there...

A million-dollar kickstarter, at about $100 per order, is only 10,000 units, total. That's a small print run to do broad, scattershot distribution in brick-and-mortar venues. That's a production run begging for direct-to-customer distribution.

Remove ads