• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer Spelljammer Confirmed (MAYBE, April Fools?)

glass

(he, him)
Ha! Just realized that the joke here was that they actually confirmed Spelljammer on April Fools Day, knowing that no one would believe it even though it was true! Kinda brilliant!
GW did the sme thing with the return of squats to 40k. It is becoming...I was going to say "standard practice" but that might be sightly overstating the case. It is becoming pretty common.

That said, despite cheekily using the tagline of "D&D in Space", this is actually not in space but in the Astral, which is a dealbreaker for me. I consider it to be "Spelljammer in name only", so confirmed and then rapidly unconfirmed.

_
glass.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
That said, despite cheekily using the tagline of "D&D in Space", this is actually not in space but in the Astral, which is a dealbreaker for me. I consider it to be "Spelljammer in name only", so confirmed and then rapidly unconfirmed.
It's both Wildspace and the Astral, with the Astral taking the place of the phlogiston. The Wildspace elements are going to be the "in space" part - the Astral sounds like they're only using it to travel between systems like the phlogiston was in the original version of the setting.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
It's both Wildspace and the Astral, with the Astral taking the place of the phlogiston. The Wildspace elements are going to be the "in space" part - the Astral sounds like they're only using it to travel between systems like the phlogiston was in the original version of the setting.
Phlogiston was pretty non-spacey back in the day too.

I’m going to give a peek at what they come up with for the Astral Sea, I might end up doing things to make it something I want.

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
What they've said is that you leave your home planet on a spelljammer ship, travel through wildspace, come to the edge of wildspace and encounter a silvery mist, you cross through that silvery mist and enter the astral sea. It's worth noting that the astral sea is apparently different from the astral plane.

It would be trivial at worst to change "silvery mist" to crystal sphere and "astral sea" to phlogiston.

Or to combine the two, travel through wildspace, come to the crystal sphere, and transition into the astral sea, or whatever. I doubt there are going to be huge sections of mechanics that will make swapping these terms around difficult to handle.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
They said Spelljammer Confirmed last year on April 1 when Chris Perkins Tweeted a "joke" about writing up SPace Clowns. So two years in a row, in plain sight.
The fact that they had April Fools jokes two years in a row that were confirming Spelljammer just makes this release even better. And the fact that they're adding even more goofiness (Vampirates, Space Clowns) that fits perfectly into the nonsensical setting.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The fact that they had April Fools jokes two years in a row that were confirming Spelljammer just makes this release even better. And the fact that they're adding even more goofiness (Vampirates, Space Clowns) that fits perfectly into the nonsensical setting.
Chris Perkins said this was a labor of love, and that he ran Spelljammer before working in house on D&D. It shows.

Remove ads