• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Spellcasting ranger

So, I'm reading all classes in detail, and have finally gotten to the ranger.
The basic ranger in A5E does not have spells, and at page 227 there's a textbox explaining how spellcasting rangers should work.

This text box seems to be totally out of place for several reasons:
  • it suggests that rangers that can cast spells do so as innate, and can cast each level 1 spell 1/day. This then grows to 2/day at level 9. And finally 2/day for level 2 spells at level 17 (but the first casting of level 2 spells was never mentioned before).
  • the only ranger archetype that has spellcasting has normal spell slots, that go up to level 4 spells.

Anyone able to clarify?

It’s for using O5E spellcasting ranger archetypes.
Ok, but then it should be specified somewhere because it's quite confusing.
There's also the fact that the o5e ranger archetypes that do gain spells, gain spells of level higher than 2. How is the textbox in LU going to help with this?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
There's also the fact that the o5e ranger archetypes that do gain spells, gain spells of level higher than 2. How is the textbox in LU going to help with this?
They may cast each spell once per long rest. At higher levels, they may cast 1st and 2nd level twice per long rest. All the other spells remain capped at one use between long rests. Seems fairly clear to me.

They may cast each spell once per long rest. At higher levels, they may cast 1st and 2nd level twice per long rest. All the other spells remain capped at one use between long rests. Seems fairly clear to me.
That's a perfectly good interpretation. Except that the text as written is really not clear to me. It should be something like:
"If you're using an o5e ranger archetype with Level Up, and the archetype grants spells, you can cast each of those spells once per long rest. Once you reach level 9, you can cast each level 1 spells 2/rest. Once you reach level 17, you can cast each level 2 spells 2/rest".

Faolyn

(she/her)
Report it as an unclear wording issue.

niklinna

satisfied?
That's a perfectly good interpretation. Except that the text as written is really not clear to me. It should be something like:
"If you're using an o5e ranger archetype with Level Up, and the archetype grants spells, you can cast each of those spells once per long rest. Once you reach level 9, you can cast each level 1 spells 2/rest. Once you reach level 17, you can cast each level 2 spells 2/rest".
I would leave out the o5e reference there; it's entirely possible an a5e archetype might grant spells too. Which means...we're back to the original text.

"Some ranger archetypes can grant spells." Not the spellcasting feature, and not spell slots, but spells. If you really need it clarified, maybe something like this:

"Some ranger archetypes grant specific spells, as if the base class had the spellcasting feature. If you choose such a ranger archetype, ...."

I leave filing the report to you, though! I think it's fine as is. :)

Last edited:

Whaleman

Villager
I also noticed this section and wondered how would this work with archetypes designed to use spell slots for non spell use. For instance the most recent Drakewarden can use its 1st level slots to raise its Drake and use its 3rd level slots for its breath. As written they would not be able to do that at all. They do not gain any spells from their archetype. This would heavily nerf them.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I also noticed this section and wondered how would this work with archetypes designed to use spell slots for non spell use. For instance the most recent Drakewarden can use its 1st level slots to raise its Drake and use its 3rd level slots for its breath. As written they would not be able to do that at all. They do not gain any spells from their archetype. This would heavily nerf them.
I would change that so they have the option of upcasting it 1/long rest based on what their level is. So at whatever level an 05e ranger can cast 3rd-level slots, the A5e ranger can upcast it to do however much more damage.

Larnievc

Hero
I didn't really get the side bar for casting spells for Rangers. I've decided (in lieu of me understanding) that if you have a Ranger with a spell casting sub class from a non LU book that you just go with that as it's probably a similar power level to Wilder.

Remove ads