• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So many tiles....

Dave0047

First Post
So I'm a huge fan of the D&D tile sets. I think they're amazing products and I'm getting more and more excited about them every time I read someone's blog showing images from their last session, or when I google image search something related to "D&D Tiles". I have PDF's of all of the sets for reference purposes (I have not and will not print them because I do believe in supporting a company for making good products), and I physically own the following:

• 2 copies of the first D&D Dungeon Tiles set
  • Caves of Carnage
  • Sinister Woods
  • Dungeon Tiles Master Set - The Dungeon
  • Dungeon Tiles Master Set - The City
  • Dungeon Tiles Master Set - The Wilderness
Now that's probably not even close to what some of you may have, but I'm admittedly a bit lost already. I'm not able to remember all the little bits and pieces that were included with each set. Am I the only one having this issue?

I had a few questions about all of this.

#1 - Does anyone have some kind of inventory, list, or reference thingy that tells them what terrain pieces they have based on what sets they bought? Basically how do you keep track of what you have? I'm slightly sad there wasn't a little booklet that included an inventory and some pictures of sample dungeons/landscapes (those were always really cool), but I'm hoping to get some info from you guys. The PDF's I have don't really cut it, because they are just scans of the tile sheets.

#2 - How do you store your punched-out tiles? I happen to use the same method as that Sly Flourish guy which is to simply put the set in a one-gallon-sized Zip-lock bag. For the master sets, they stay in the boxes they came in, but I'm wondering how you guys store and sort your tiles, which may help with the first question I guess.

#3 - Do any of you have pictures of some sample dungeons/landscapes you've made with the new DT Master Sets? I'd be interested to see pics of your creations! In fact, that might be an interesting thread on it's own, but whatever, post some ideas here if you'd be so kind! I love seeing people's tile maps as it inspires new adventures and ideas for me at least.

Last edited:

invokethehojo

First Post
I have the same issue, especially since I also own lots of map packs from paizo. I tend to use flip mats (paizo) and maps from published adventures that I've had laminated most, but when I want something custom the tiles/map packs is the way to go. Here is what I've done

Tiles:
i bought one of those cheap, plastic 3 drawer organizers and separated the tiles by theme: dungeon, town/city, wilderness/outside. I used to put them in plastic bags like you, but that sucked because every time I wanted to look through them I had to dump them all out. In drawers I can look through them without having to scatter them across the table.

Map Packs:
I put them in quart ziploc bags labeled by theme, similar to the tiles. Each pack comes with a page that has a picture of each card, so I include those at the top of the bag, or, for the ones I didn't keep that page for, I found pictures of them online and printed them up.

Nothing is perfect, unless you can afford an assistant to just track all your RPG stuff for you, but I found this method to work pretty well.

shadzar

Banned
Banned
Would it be legal for someone outside of WotC to make such a tracking system for people?

If so it would be hard to be made with simple HTML, javascript (or a spreadsheet) and small images of the pieces to make a bit of a catalog for people to keep track of all their tiles.

Otherwise the Dungeon Tile Mapper on WotC site might help and be the only thing to see what comes form what set and sort of help you track what you have, but you at least know how many of each set you have.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I have a ton of tiles and I tend to resort them once a year or more, depending on what I anticipate needing inteh adventure/campaign I am currently running.

I also run games at my freind's house and store tiles there so that is an added complication

I usually go through the larger tiles (2x4 and up), and sort out the kinds I will need. Tehn I sort through the little ones (2x2 and down), including osme I cut into smaller pieces, (mostly 1x4,5,6,7 or more)

And then I leave them at my friend's house and occasionally bring one or more for a special spot in the game.

I also have a bunch that I just do not need I keep in my gargantuan Blue Dragon box.

I just cannot carry all my tiles anymore. I have 1-2 of all sets but Fane and the three essentials ones

The Human Target

Adventurer
#1- Sadly I can't help you. I'd like something like that too, as after Christmas my group's tile collection went from big to "oh god, I can't stand to look directly at them."

#2- Right now we keep them in 2 plastic tubs with locking lids and carrying handles. Then in the tubs themselves the small tiles are organized by theme (doors and stairs, traps and pits, dungeon dressing, etc) into heavy duty freezer bags with zippers. The bigger tiles are all just sorted by size, and held together with rubber bands. My Master sets have yet to be organized, so Pelor knows how that's gonna change things.

#3- A current map I'm using multiple times in my campaign for an orc invasion scenario. Using mostly the Master City tiles, the Master Wilderness tiles, and some Sinister Woods tiles.

dnd3.jpg

dnd1.jpg

Dave0047

First Post
Thanks, "The Human Target"! I appreciate you trying to answer all three questions and I LOVE the pictures! Nice!

Well thank you much for doing some research for me, however I have already come across those. The first link is to a post by "Thanee", but he/she doesn't have any of the three Dungeon Tile Master Sets (which equates to 60 front-and-back pages of tiles missing), and it's not in a format that would lend itself to a checklist or inventory very well as it's just pictures (and I did mention that I already had the PDF's of the tile sets). The second link is to the Dungeon Tile Mapper program which is a VERY old (but cool) program that has been abandoned by WotC years ago. It only includes a few sets, and doesn't include anything in the "DU" sets or the Master Tile Sets.

Thanks again though! I look forward to anything you guys might be able to come up with!

JohnnFour

Explorer
I store my tiles in 2" binders filed with collectible coin/card sleeves.

I can see both sides of tiles that way.

However, like others in this thread, I am thinking of switching to the lego tub idea. Put 'em all in and let the DM sort 'em out.

Oh wait, that's me. I do like the idea of themed drawer storage though. I'll noodle on that.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Well thank you much for doing some research for me, however I have already come across those. The first link is to a post by "Thanee", but he/she doesn't have any of the three Dungeon Tile Master Sets (which equates to 60 front-and-back pages of tiles missing), and it's not in a format that would lend itself to a checklist or inventory very well as it's just pictures (and I did mention that I already had the PDF's of the tile sets). The second link is to the Dungeon Tile Mapper program which is a VERY old (but cool) program that has been abandoned by WotC years ago. It only includes a few sets, and doesn't include anything in the "DU" sets or the Master Tile Sets.

Thanks again though! I look forward to anything you guys might be able to come up with!

I was hoping you might contribute to the first thread (or by joining the first thread with the same questions, perhaps spur someone else to contribute the newer sets to that thread). Have you added any of your new sets to the Dungeon Tile Mapper program?

Have you been here?

Last edited:

Dave0047

First Post
I store my tiles in 2" binders filed with collectible coin/card sleeves.
Interesting! Hadn't thought of that. As I type this, my current mouse pad is a 1 1/2" binder of roughly 35 card-sleeve pages. I opened it up and looked, and it just seems like they might fall out, or that it will only hold 2"x2" and smaller, meaning the 2"x4" and larger tiles will still have a sorting issue, and feel left out. :p Though I guess for those you could just use the whole-page sleeves and put them in there...

I was hoping you might contribute to the first thread (or by joining the first thread with the same questions, perhaps spur someone else to contribute the newer sets to that thread). Have you added any of your new sets to the Dungeon Tile Mapper program?

Have you been here?
Actually, the last three posts (as of this post) in that thread do have the master tile sets, so thanks for that! As for the Dungeon Tile Mapper program, I was unaware that you could add sets to it. How do you go about doing that?

And I had been there, but didn't like the fact that I had to install extra stuff to get the 5.2 version working (getting the supposed "core" Python program files to get their supposed stand-alone program to work).

Thanks for the input!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads