• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) So how long until Playtest Packet 8?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I am starting to be afraid they do not plan to re-write many spells, and will not playtest the spells in general.

I'm also starting to worry they will not be adding new and interesting powers to many monsters and will not playtest a new CR system or new monsters.

Finally I worry they won't add in a magic item creation and purchasing set of rules, or at least not playtest those.

All of these should be addressed in the playtest in some manner, and in the 2024 revision.

I am starting to be afraid they do not plan to re-write many spells, and will not playtest the spells in general.

I'm also starting to worry they will not be adding new and interesting powers to many monsters and will not playtest a new CR system or new monsters.

Finally I worry they won't add in a magic item creation and purchasing set of rules, or at least not playtest those.

All of these should be addressed in the playtest in some manner, and in the 2024 revision.

Actually, seeing so many people react strangely to reasonable nerfs and buffs, I hope they will just take it in their own hands.
I already fear the reasonable counter spell nerf will be voted down.

Mistwell

I always love when someone displays extremely poor reading comprehension while trying to talk down to someone about whether they read the relevant text. 😂
Not sure what that's referring to (that guy has me blocked, whoever it is) but yes that's always funny and more common than it should be. I've probably done it myself and been embarrassed when I realized my error.

Mistwell

Actually, seeing so many people react strangely to reasonable nerfs and buffs, I hope they will just take it in their own hands.
I already fear the reasonable counter spell nerf will be voted down.
Fair enough but it would be nice if people had the opportunity to point out an interaction which they might have missed, and a style of play they might not be considering. Particularly the CR system is a pretty delicate matter which they've historically had trouble with.

Remathilis

Legend

Why waste their time. Unless they are adding straight buffs to something, it won't be popular and it will be reverted anyway.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Not sure what that's referring to (that guy has me blocked, whoever it is) but yes that's always funny and more common than it should be. I've probably done it myself and been embarrassed when I realized my error.
Yeah it’s why I try not to talk down to people when they clearly haven’t don’t the reading, unless they’re behaving poorly enough that my tone changes without me consciously realizing it. Bc yeah it’s very embarrassing.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Why waste their time. Unless they are adding straight buffs to something, it won't be popular and it will be reverted anyway.
That this is probably true, but I think it's more complicated. For one there is the #_+&! Casters segment of the player base who will enthusiastically champion any perceived reduction to caster power. Secondly is that outside of blaster types casters tend to have a more in depth grasp on the system as a whole and are more likely to see value in an apparent reduction in one area that is offset by changes elsewhere allowing more nuanced & interesting stuff elsewhere.

The two combined could allow interesting stuff to squeak through, especially if wotc chooses to ignore the 60-70% threshold while empowering their designers to engage in good design.

Remove ads