• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV Should the D&D Movie Been Serious or Not Called D&D?

mamba

Legend
So what? It made enough to get it far enough for streaming and digital sales to get it to a profitable status. How is that a flop?
that is not at all clear, I’d say it even is unlikely

This I disagree with. I think it’s pretty much just unfamiliarity, not enough tie in stuff in stores before release, and a lot of “will this be terrible!?” online speculation ahead of the movie generating especially high skepticism.
Unfamiliarity with what? D&D? The setting? The story (as it is not based on a module, novel or CRPG)?

We might mean the same thing. I said generic fantasy story, but that also means not a familiar story like LotR (or for D&D the DL trilogy or similar) and no familiar characters.
Maybe I overestimate this because nothing D&D has comes close to LotR in popularity, but I still think if they had used relatively popular material instead of a new story, it probably would have worked better. Esp. since the story and locations are rather generic too. Could have been any fantasy world / city.

Zardnaar

Legend
So what? It made enough to get it far enough for streaming and digital sales to get it to a profitable status. How is that a flop?

This I disagree with. I think it’s pretty much just unfamiliarity, not enough tie in stuff in stores before release, and a lot of “will this be terrible!?” online speculation ahead of the
Movie lost 100-150 million.

VoD doesnt make that much espicially on flops. Theres no other streaming company paying tens of millions for the movie. During the pandemic I think some made 60 million, Mario made 75. That's a long way from what D&D needs from vastly bigger movies.

Paramount is losing money on streaming as well btw.
movie generating especially high skepticism.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
VoD doesnt make that much espicially on flops
Stated without evidence. The evidence that we have is that it's outselling Top Gun: Maverick
Theres no other streaming company paying tens of millions for the movie.
People. Real people. Pay money.
Paramount is losing money on streaming as well btw.
Because they're spending on new content, not because people aren't watching. Their profitability target is next year, on the backs of having strong signups and having multiple number one movies.
Leading long term investors bought Paramount Global stock for long term value, not because of a single quarter panic

Zardnaar

Legend
what evidence is that?

It's probably higher than TG:M this week.

But that movie was released 18 months ago.

It's like when D&D was number 1 at the box office. For 1 week on a middling ainch vs nothing particularly relevant (John Wicks second week was most relevant).

TGM made around 5 times HAT at the BO.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads