• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SHIELD (Comics) Question

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Originally SHIELD was known as Supreme Headquarters, International Espionage, Law Enforcement Division and it was a part of the UN. In the Ultimate Universe, SHIELD is an American organization from the start. At what point in the normal 616 Marvel Universe did SHIELD become an American organization. Or is it? I get a little cloudy on this point somewhere among all the rebootings.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I always thought of SHIELD as an American organization. See these images for Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD comic book covers and note the often used American flag/color symbology and cityscapes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nic...v&sa=X&ei=vWZvVLDRKovHsQTTqYLgCw&ved=0CCsQsAQ

I wasn't huge on Nick Fury comic books, but if I had to guess on when it changed to a more global perspective in the comic books, it was probably with the fall of the Berlin wall and the dismantling of the Soviet Union. A lot of Cold War aspects that were alive and well in comic books in the 70s and 80s sort of went away and were forgotten about by the 90s.

Remove ads