• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Savant or rogue? Help!

Rogue or Savant?

• Rogue

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Savant

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Multiclass Abomination

Votes: 1 12.5%

My wife is about to make her first Level Up character, but she’s struggling with whether she should try out the newly improved rogue or the brand new (new to us) Savant as presented in Adventures in Zeitgeist.

Anyone have a case for which one she should be and why?

It’s a tough choice, but a good one to have to be making!
Right?

I see them as basically two sides of the same coin. I think she’s a bit attached to rogue due to (1) familiarity and (2) the fact that there is an “investigator” archetype and I THINK savant can play that same role as well.

I am a hair biased towards savant because I personally like new and shiny

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
So... really... it's a question of Maneuvers.

The Maneuvers system -really- jazzes up the Rogue. Oh, sure, they get new social and exploration options, it's true, but Rogues were always kind of good at that sort of play, already, based on attribute and skill choices. So the biggest mechanical difference between 05e and A5e rogues lies in their Maneuvers. It gives you a whole other structure to play with for action economy in combat. But. That combat structure difference is also shared with Rangers, Paladins, Fighters, Berserkers, and Adepts, as well. And the Rogue mostly dips their toe into it, having the lowest number of Maneuvers available to them.

Meanwhile the Savant is an -entirely- new class, with unique mechanics, structures, and interactions. Use the Sartorial Defense sidebar and enjoy winning fights like you're Dr. Henry Jones Sr.

Someone in your group has to be the first Savant at your table. Why not your wife?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads