• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running adventures in systems that they were not designed for.

Thomas Shey

Legend
That's fair, but nobody made the case for using Shadowrun adventures in a low-magic fantasy game or modern period game without super technology or magic. In fact, the exact opposite case was made. ¯\(ツ)

I'm just saying that, especially with fantasy or SF scenarios, even if you're keeping them within their own genre, there are often pretty big swings in the power level assumed relative to potential other systems. The best genre that I've seen to most likely avoid this is actually supers, because there tends to be fairly strong overlap there even in otherwise pretty different systems. You can have situations where a situation is really intended for street level characters that won't work for cosmic ones and vice versa, but that's true even within a single game system there.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I'm just saying that, especially with fantasy or SF scenarios, even if you're keeping them within their own genre, there are often pretty big swings in the power level assumed relative to potential other systems. The best genre that I've seen to most likely avoid this is actually supers, because there tends to be fairly strong overlap there even in otherwise pretty different systems. You can have situations where a situation is really intended for street level characters that won't work for cosmic ones and vice versa, but that's true even within a single game system there.
The issue in adaptation isn't power level, or even tech, it is about equivalent obstacles.

Let's say you adapt a Cyberpunk 2020 adventure to 5E Eberron and a key component of the adventure is hacking in to get access to a facility. Obviously, 5E Eberron doesn't have hacking. But it does have magic, and wards, and spells, and PC wizards. It should take less than 3 minutes to figure out how to transform the CP2020 challenge into.something appropriate to 5E Eberron.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The closest I’ve come is running a supers game in an expanded version of the Space:1889 setting, using the rules of HERO 4Ed in the 1990s, and using Mutants & Masterminds post 2010.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
The closest I’ve come is running a supers game in an expanded version of the Space:1889 setting, using the rules of HERO 4Ed in the 1990s, and using Mutants & Masterminds post 2010.

For awhile (years ago now) I really wanted to use M&M to run a supers game in an otherwise traditional fantasy setting.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm a big fan of "rules that not only allow but actively support the feel you are looking for".

Nothing in that has a problem with running an adventure for system X in system Y that supports the feel.

Go for it.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
I used Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand in playtesting Adventure 1e. It fit very well - that part of the WoD always had a pulp luridness about it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
For awhile (years ago now) I really wanted to use M&M to run a supers game in an otherwise traditional fantasy setting.

They’ve got you covered!

Warriors & Warlocks does a lot of the heavy lifting for he to model a fantasy setting in that system:

Book of Magic takes things further. Lots of spells etc. to really give you options, albeit more like comic book/fantasy superheroes.

Voadam

Legend
They’ve got you covered!

Warriors & Warlocks does a lot of the heavy lifting for he to model a fantasy setting in that system:

Book of Magic takes things further. Lots of spells etc. to really give you options, albeit more like comic book/fantasy superheroes.
Beat me to it.

Remove ads