• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OSR "Rules & Regulations": An Essay on the OSR

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Enjoy, and debate.

I will say I can't agree with everything this guy says and he completely ignores D&D5e (which is likely in part appealing to the OSR crowd), but it's an interesting perspective.

I do like the bit about unbounded exploration-play as a child, but I'm a sucker for game design psychology. ;)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What's the general gist? I'm phone-handicapped right now, and reading articles on it is quite the pain!

Warbringer

Explorer
What's the general gist? I'm phone-handicapped right now, and reading articles on it is quite the pain!

WOTC "magicifed" D&D and turned an inspirational game into "minis" game based on rules and tables where players spend more time optimization and bending the rules rather than playing with a sense of wonder.

Thesis statement: "Dungeons & Dragons has become a game preferring combat to role-playing, which is bad, so folks are making games like the original version."

There's not much there, really.

Wow, is that really weird. That guy thinks feats are from magic the gathering, and roleplaying left when 2e introduced new rules.... that is a way back edtion warrior

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Skimmed it. It seems like it was written by someone who doesn't fully understand it, trying to explain it to people who have never heard of D&D.

The comment about how WotC D&D is about "superheroes" amuses me. Superhero was a Fighter level title in old-school D&D, and (to my knowledge) has never appeared in WotC D&D.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I still haven't read it, but if what you guys are saying it's just Standard Edition War Tract #1A?

JeffB

Legend
Awesome. Yet another gamer feeling the need to publicize why their fave version of make believe elves and fairies isso much better than some other version. No different than 90% of the posts made here, on the WOTC forums,.RPGNET,.etc.

pemerton

Legend
The essay linked by the OP says this:

It was copyright law, however, that made the old school renaissance possible. Copyright can be very complicated, especially in the internet age, but one thing remains clear: you cannot copyright game rules. You can copyright their presentation, the associated artwork, and the accompanying text, but not the rules themselves: that a dwarf gets a constitution bonus +1 cannot be copyrighted.

The earliest iterations of OSR games, like the Old School Reference and Index Compilation, are simply various editions of the early D&D rules with new art and accompanying text offered as PDFs (often free) or print-on-demand at cost.​

To the best of my knowledge this is just wrong. As I understand it, all the retro-clones use the OGL. Checking my own copies, this is certainly the case for OSRIC, Basic Fantasy, Labyrinth Lord and Lamentations of the Flame Princess. Which is to say that they are made possible not by the law of copyright, but the law of contract: WotC has licensed the use of its IP in return for users agreeing to be bound by the terms of the OGL, which puts more limits on the use of WotC IP than copyright law (and trademark law also) would impose on such use.

For what it's worth, I don't think the discussion of the relationship between 4e and roleplaying is any more accurate (I'll leave 3E players to make their own judgements).

The idea that combat is more prevalent mechanically is also not accurate, in my view - Moldvay Basic, for instance, has action resolution rules for combat, and for running away from combat, and for not much else - looking for secret doors and traps, listening at doors and opening doors. And reading the frequently-touted description of the winning team's play of the original Against the Giants Tournaments (in the Oct 78 number of Dragon), I don't see anything there that would not be at home in more recent editions of D&D.

Remove ads