• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Rules about technology

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Firearms, steam engines, clocks, explosives, siege weapons, automata: should "Level Up" include detailed rules about technology and science? What kind of stuff would you include? What should absolutely not be there? Should there be a Savant class? How would you balance science with magic?

I would not mind black powder weapons, but I would refrain from going all in on science and technology, lest A5E will be considered a steampunk or modern rules addition to 5e, which I dont think is want the designers want.

Siege weapons could be added to a warfare system, should the book have one.

A savant based on item usage and lore can be interesting. Is there enough place in the game to put a savant next to an artificer? I think it would be doable. I we go with the idea that A5E will add new subsystems, and have classes interact with those system beyond combat (Ranger gains Journey features, Fighter/Warlord gains Warfare/Retainer features etc), having a Savant mostly interacting with the crafting system while being only passable in combat would not be the end of the world. People will complain about it being only a NPC class, but if a person has fun playing a skilled artisan, let the others play more classic adventuring classes while you craft some stuff in your downtime.

People give a hard time to the Scholar in AiME, but it works well for what is represent; it does what it says on the can. It wont please everybody, but its there for those who love that playstyle.

Stalker0

Legend
I don’t mind subsystems on technology, but i would prefer that in its splatbook. A more “mainstream” system like what this one is going for should focus on the core fantasy

ThatGuySteve

Explorer
The DMG has variant rules for early, modern and futuristic weapons. Having them as a variant just means DMs can choose whether they appear in their game or not, without having to rule out something 'core'.

In happy to see them included as an option. I'd love to see early firearms take an age to reload and short ranges though. Their strength was in how quick it was to learn to shoot for a mob of peasants. Accuracy was not.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The DMG has variant rules for early, modern and futuristic weapons. Having them as a variant just means DMs can choose whether they appear in their game or not, without having to rule out something 'core'.

In happy to see them included as an option. I'd love to see early firearms take an age to reload and short ranges though. Their strength was in how quick it was to learn to shoot for a mob of peasants. Accuracy was not.
Of course, if you make them suck for individuals they'll never see play. Existing core weapons don't have to follow history's rules. Why should firearms?

ThatGuySteve

Explorer
Of course, if you make them suck for individuals they'll never see play. Existing core weapons don't have to follow history's rules. Why should firearms?
I didn't say make them suck, I said give them a low range and take ages to reload. The balance could be that they do top their damage. You could get around slow loading by hiring some retainers who stand back handing you loaded muskets each round. You could have a brave of pistols strapped across your chest that you fire and drop each round.

There is plenty room to make them behave more interestingly than a higher damage crossbows being unusable.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Over all I would say no, but I would not be crushed if it included it because I know a lot of other groups want more techy-steampunked styles for their games. That isn't D&D to me, but hey it isn't like I own it LOL! If people want it and find something that works for them, enjoy! :)

Remove ads