• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Rule of ritual, expertise dice granting spells?

Valrei

Villager
I was wondering about the following cleric feature:

RULE OF RITUAL
You make formal religious observances and perform ritual timekeeping. You can spend 1 hour during a long rest to make these observances, and if you do you only need 4 hours of sleep instead of the normal 6. You learn the guidance cantrip if you do not already know it, and when you grant expertise dice with a spell of 1st-level or higher, the expertise die you grant increases by one step.

Specifically the last sentence, your expertise dice granting 1st level and higher spells grant a dice size higher. Sounds nice but do such spells even exist?
Guidance of course doesn't benefit from this since its not a 1st level or higher spell.
Enhance ability comes to mind but that grants advantage, not expertise die.
Bless would have been a really powerful example of this coming in nicely but that just says 1d4, so I assume this is not an expertise dice and a different type of bonus (which does make it stack better with actual expertise dice but disqualifies it for this feature).

And I've been looking through the cleric spell-list and I can't really find any spell that grant expertise dice, can anyone think of any?
Or is this just a cute little additional feature for subclasses and multiclassing? (I'd still like to hear your spells for other classes/subclasses that do use expertise dice, now I'm just curious.)

thuter

Explorer
The Ceremony spell has an option that grants an expertise die (Offering), and the rare version of Aid. Other than that, the first I found were Pass Without Trace, a Druid spell, and the rare version of False Life, for Sorcerer and Wizard.

Valrei

Villager
Ah yes of course, ceremony, thanks for sleuthing for me!
But good to see I didn't miss many of them they are just quite rare.

Remove ads