Roll20 Announces Discord Activity Integration

Beta testing opening soon for Roll20 Pro users

Roll20 announced a partnership with Discord to allow users to access the virtual tabletop directly through the app as an Activity.

discord-activity-screenshot-MEDIUM.png

Users of Discord will be able to access Roll20 VTT and their full account inside Discord while using that program's built-in audio and video conferencing tools. Features available include:
  • The full virtual tabletop with maps, tokens, layers, etc
  • Integrated character sheets, 3D dice, and compendiums
  • All your current campaigns, assets, and marketplace content
  • Access to official modules for D&D, Pathfinder, Marvel, Fallout, and more
  • Dynamic lighting (Pro/Plus only)
  • Built-in video/voice chat via Discord

The feature is available now for Roll20 Pro subscribers (which is also on sale this week for 27% off, only $79.99 for your first year or $7.99 for your first month). Starting on April 30, 2024, all Pro subscribers will be invited to a private Discord server to beta test the Rolll20 Activity.

No details have been announced when this will be rolled out to other Roll20 and Discord users or how long the beta testing period is expected to last. However, Roll20 did announced that the site's integrated voice and video chat isn't going anywhere for those who prefer to use that service over Discord, and that their new Project Jumpgate beta is both not affected by this new option and will also be available for users of the Roll20 Discord Activity. A FAQ with more details is available on the Roll20 blog.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Abstruse

Legend
this is a sound use of it seeing as most use the discord to play along with roll 20.
I know it's also especially common for streamers who don't record in the same physical space. Discord has better audio and video quality than Roll20's internal tools, or at least it has a reputation for it. There's also a lot of other plugins and tools for Discord that work better for streaming or recording. So they load Roll20 in a browser window and use Discord for the actual call for the stream/recording. This might make things run a bit easier for them as well as being useful for people in general, especially if it runs well on lower-end systems that might choke a bit trying to do things in separate windows.

Hussar

Legend
That's pretty cool. It would certainly streamline a LOT of stuff. I keep most of my gaming stuff on Discord now, - campaign notes, background information, inter-session role play, that sort of thing. Being able to keep everything one stop shop would be pretty sweet.

Now if only Fantasy Grounds actually supported voice at all.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I like my A/V to be in a different window than my tabletop, since I have 2 monitors.

But I never use roll20's A/V - and I have to imagine I am in the majority, so I am guessing that business wise this makes sense.

They get to reduce their dev/feature surface area and also add a new differentiator for their Pro tier all in one fell swoop.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads