• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Random Encounter Generators

Twin Rose

First Post
The program I wrote, Campaign Suite, will do it. You can put in any number of creatures, or encounter tables.. it comes with 650 creatures built it. You can't print out the creature stats without registering the program, but you can at least fill out your encounters that way.

www.twinrose.net

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Better question:

1. Free
2. Does random encounters and will generate tables with most of the monsters in the SRD
3. Does not require another app to run (no excel, but VBR and java plugin's are acceptable).
4. Allow you to customize and add monsters into a the tables.

There was an application on here a while ago that I saw had potential unfortunately it's author has not updated his page.

Those 4 above things, I would love to find in a program.

TuWakTay

First Post
The DM Tacker Tools will generate random encounters at different frequency settings. The plan is to allow for the building of custom monster lists, sort of like the old d20 lists, and use them to pull random monsters from. The Alpha release will most likely not have this ability, thus only the occurance of random monsters will be active, however it is on the development table for the future. :)

Twin Rose

First Post
Well, you get what you pay for.

It took me about a week, maybe more, to enter all the creature statistics needed into Campaign Suite. If you want to download a free program, odds are you will have to do that yourself. So, if you have a couple hundred hours to spare than a free program will probably do you fine.

The CS trial will let you roll the encounters, but won't print the statistics blocks.

Angelsboi

First Post
Thats sweet chris but do you have a listing for The Darkenshire? You know, for my unique monsters i want to have a possibility to be encountered. No?

Oh. Well what about more memory for my boyfriends lousy computer b/c mine is still back in tucson. No?

Oh. Well then until one of those (or both) come to pass, ill take Excel b/c its easier on what little memory he has.

gariig

First Post
There's some stuff on over at Jamis Buck's site(linked at the entrance page of ENWorld) and maybe there will be a program for him.

There was a monster DB(don't know if it is customizble) and a addon for RPM that might do what you want(both are freebies).

Jamis Buck's Site

Also, be a little nicer and use the resources that are in your face.

Gariig

Twin Rose

First Post
Well, right now I'm reworking much of the interface to make it less memory intensive, though even with the full graphics loaded the program was using a little less memory than excel. It might take some time for the graphics themselves to load, but that's being remedied as I'm basically taking them all out anyway.

People don't really care what sorts of distracting graphics there are, I've learned, when the content is good.

Remove ads