• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Question Around Warlock Spell Swapping Rules

Imaro

Legend
Ok so I've run into something I'm a little unsure of concerning the 5e warlock. Under the Pact Magic section of the 5e PHB it states...

"Additionally, when you gain a level in this class you can chose one of the warlock spells you know and replace it with another spell from the warlock spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots."

What I am uncertain about is if this is saying that one could trade out a 1st level spell received at 1st level (with your then 1st level slot for a 2nd level spell upon attaining level 2 (since your slots are now 2nd level) ? Or does the swapped spell have to be the same level as the spell that was originally picked?

In all honesty I am leaning towards the first interpretation... but wondering what others think... and/or if there is anything official surrounding it.

Paraxis

Explorer
Any spellcasting class that uses Spells Know (bard, sorcerer, warlock, ranger, eldritch knight, arcane trickster) all work the same way. You can replace the spell with any spell you have the spell slot for. A warlock when gaining 3rd level can pick 1 second level spell as a new spell, and replace one of his 1st level known spells with another 2nd level spell.

So your first interpretation is right.

Imaro

Legend
Yeah... now it does seem kind of obvious... not sure why I had an issue going with that interpretation at first.

Remove ads