• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Proposal : Modifying the requirement for a 2nd Character

renau1g

First Post
I'm more than happy to award the XP after the skill challenge Mal. I can only imagine your frustration, but I would require you to wait until an extended rest to "level up". Cov mentioned this will let you make a 2nd PC so I'll do it. Note:

As an aside, Murphy qualifies for level 2 (haven't done it yet as I was waiting for AP to be approved). If I retire him, do I make a 2nd level PC?

renau1g

First Post
I suppose the other way would be for me to level up murphy, have two judges review, then retire him and create a new PC and have two more judges review him...

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Well we didn't specify that you have to have an approved 2nd level character, just that your character has to reach 2nd level. IMO, if your character has been awarded 1000 XP or more during his career, you're eligible to create a second character, and also to retire the first character and make a new 2nd level character.

I just don't really see the point in getting approval for level 2 if you plan to retire him right after you get approval, and then make a new PC that does need approval. Extra work for no gain.

Dunamin

First Post
Seriously, you have any example of of L4W DM who has awarded XP during an ongoing adventuring day? I doubt it's been done.
Yes, it's been done.

That's how the Closed Eye crew levelled and it felt perfectly appropriate. I agree that levelling up during an extended rest is more common, but by no means is it the only way - nor should it be. If the DM and group thinks it makes a more fitting and enjoyable game to level up during a short rest, I say go for it. :)

Its not exactly unheard of outside L4W, either.

CaBaNa

First Post
Pok, (LEB) missed EXP because it was awarded right after the first skill challenge of an adventure and he hadn't been approved yet. However If instead he had been on the cusp of Level 2 he would have leveled.

renau1g

First Post
Well, that wasn't official XP. THB never approved it. It was an informational thing. Don't worry, you'll get your XP.

garyh

First Post
We could do something like, "Six months of your first character adventuring OR 2nd level, whichever comes first." That way someone whose first character gets into a slow or problematic game can still have a way to create a second PC.

Kalidrev

First Post
Now THAT I like Garyh! I like the time requirement/level requirement because we're all on even footing in either case. Either you get the XP (like all of us CAN do), or you wait the 6 months (which WILL eventually come). I think that embodies exactly what CaBaNa was looking for while providing even ground for everyone! Great idea!

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
I'm more than happy to award the XP after the skill challenge Mal. I can only imagine your frustration, but I would require you to wait until an extended rest to "level up". Cov mentioned this will let you make a 2nd PC so I'll do it.

Well, that's certainly a workable compromise., thanks.

Dunamin said:
Yes, it's been done.

Well, then I guess it's been done. :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads