• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) possible way of fixing carrying capacity

Could you elaborate a bit? Would be interesting to hear how your system works.
(I tend to favour slot-based systems at the moment, but they have some limitations, too)

Nothing at all major - just a few tweaks to both make it slightly more generous and to encourage certain playstyles and shenanigans I like to see.
  • If you want to wear armour disguised to look like normal clothing double the number of rows it wipes out (and it costs money and skill to have fitted).
  • Reclaim a number of rows from your armour's bulk equal to your STR bonus. (This comes after doubling for concealed armour)
  • If on the other hand the armour has a STR requirement and you don't meet it you can still wear it at the cost of another row.
  • One handed weapons like longswords use two slots not three when worn on the hip.
  • By using up an entire row a rogue (or anyone else) can have "Enough" daggers concealed on their person in various unspecified locations. (Variants of this available on request)
  • Your back-slot is important. A solid backpack can carry six items rather than three (but is a pain to get things out of). Alternatively it can carry a bow/crossbow and a quiver or a polearm/greatsword/greataxe and three javelins or other complimentary combinations (I've yet to have anyone try to play not!Geralt of Rivia but his twin swords would come under this rule)
  • If you start using the final row you're encumbered and your speed drops by 10ft.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Could you elaborate a bit? Would be interesting to hear how your system works.
(I tend to favour slot-based systems at the moment, but they have some limitations, too)

We came up with a slot-based encumbrance visual using D&D's weight rules, inspired by the original Hammerspace idea. Since D&D already operates in 5 pounds increments, it's pretty simple to match this to having a place to put things. For example, you might have the Strength to lift 10 long swords, but how will you actually carry them? You have to match your gear to a slot.

Anyways, the sheet is fairly-self explanatory and here's an example using the default 1st level Ranger (generated under version 1.0, added a pouch and made some of the text cleaner).

We've been playtesting this for a year and won't go back. It's simple to know where everything is.

The only thing I've added is that the backpack adds a ton of weight. You'll notice a 1st level ranger who picks Scale Mail is already encumbered. So, I permit players to ditch the backpack as a "free" action when entering conflict.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
The math does work for packs. For example, the Burglar's Pack (listed in your post at 46.5 lbs), actually rings up at 27.5 pounds interior and 15 pounds exterior. A backpack carries 30 pounds on the inside, same capacity and weight as a Sack, BUT, unlike a sack, the backpack specifically states you can strap items on the exterior such as a waterskin, bedroll, and rope. Math:
Ball Bearings +2
String, Bell, Candles = no weight
Crowbar +5
Hammer +3
Pitons (10) + 2.5
Hooded Lantern +2
Flask of oil (2) +2
Rations (5) +10
Tinderbox +1
= 27.5 pounds interior

Waterskin +5
Rope, hemp + 10
= 15 pounds exterior

Summary: nevertheless, I find tracking weight is a pain even if the items fit, and I expect there wasn't a great deal of designer effort to reconcile weight (rations anyone...) given the expectation that because it is a pain, no one will bother to track it.

However, I believe it adds a substantial tactical element to the game if done properly. And, D&D's reliance on weight isn't the way to go. You may have an 18 STR, but you only have 2 hands to carry things. A backpack can fill up based on volume. We use Slot-based encumbrance.
Thanks. I didn't feel like adding up ll the packs to show that they are freaking huge if you do & just grabbed one that looked like it was probably accurate. I too use a slot based system

@Neonchameleon : Thanks! Most of that immediately seems like a good addition to me.
Two follow-up questions:
1. Is it correct to infer that the slots are fixed in you model?
2. Can plate be worn disguised or are there any restrictions?

@Neonchameleon : Thanks! Most of that immediately seems like a good addition to me.
Two follow-up questions:
1. Is it correct to infer that the slots are fixed in you model?
2. Can plate be worn disguised or are there any restrictions?

1: Same six rows by three slots per row.
2: Wearing plate disguised is possible but only for the strong.

Wearing plate armour takes three rows. Wearing it disguised takes another three rows. But plate has a minimum STR of 15 so it takes a seventh row unless you've a STR of 15.

At STR 12 you are encumbered, slow moving, and unable to hold or wield a weapon without disadvantage on all your rolls. It's OK if you sit there on a reinforced chair.

At STR 14 if you try holding anything like a sword or even a plate full of food you're so unsteady you're down to 15' of movement. In this case not so much the weight of the food as not crashing into and through someone else.

Yes, really rich STR 16+ fighters can have made-to-measure plate armour they can wear under normal clothes (and even get most of the rows back). But it costs a lot of money and requires a lot of strength. Also it in most cases defeats the point of plate armour if you don't also have disguised weapons in there. If you want anything shortsword length that's going to take two rows as well (due to the concealment cost) so you again struggle with the plate of food.

The other part is that you're going to be going without gauntlets and your disguise must at the very least explain how your headgear covers most of your face. Also, as mentioned, you need the armour custom-made to your specifications by a master armourer - at a cost of 7500GP (i.e. five times normal cost).

So yes, there are some restrictions but they can be overcome - at least to sight and sound. Dancing may be more of a problem. Frankly if a STR 20 fighter wants to pay 7500GP for disguised plate armour I'm fine with that. It's not something that's at all worthwhile for anyone with a strength less than 18.

Just realised I forgot to mention that disguised armour costs three times normal cost for flexible armours (padded, leather, studded leather, chain) and five times normal costs for rigid armours.

Remove ads