• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer Pocket Spelljammer

MarkB

Legend
So, this is a wacky idea I had for a Spelljammer ship that gets around the awkward questions of parking, docking fees, and leaving behind an extremely valuable vessel when going adventuring, along with the possible consequences of becoming marooned on whatever plane or planet you'd arrived on.

As I understand it (and I may be showing my near-total ignorance of the setting here), all you really need to do to turn a ship into a spelljammer is to install a spelljamming helm on it, and a spelljamming helm is a self-contained apparatus that's essentially a chair or throne.

So, acquire the following:

One Spelljamming Helm.
One Portable Hole.
One Folding Boat.

Result: A Spelljamming ship that you can put in your pocket. When you get to where you're going, you just detach the helm, place it in the portable hole, then fold up your boat and put them both in your pocket.

MarkB

Legend
Not sure how much a helm weighs, but the folding boat in the OP only weighs 4lbs when folded up.
It does gain the weight of a normal vessel its size when unfolded, but I don't know what the normal weight of "a ship 24 feet long, 8 feet wide, and 6 feet deep with a deck, rowing seats, five sets of oars, a steering oar, an anchor, a deck cabin, and a mast with a square sail" is, beyond quite a lot. It doesn't match the dimensions of any vessel that's been statted in 5e, not that most of those vessels have listed weights in any case.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
In D&D it's a TARPIW (Time and Relative Plane in Wildspace). Not nearly as marketable.
The "dimensions" in question refer to the fact that, through the power of Math™ and the Time Vortex®, the ship can be both bigger on the inside than it is on the outside, and can add or remove rooms more or less at the user's discretion. So that part could stay.

Alternatively, TARSIS: "Time and Relative Sphericity in (wild) Space," referring to the fact that, unlike a normal spelljammer, this vessel is effectively a tiny crystal sphere all by itself, which can interface with other crystal spheres via the small "footprint" of its external body. Since the entry point need not be the entire (miniature) crystal sphere, just a mathematical extrusion from it, you can even keep the "bigger on the inside than the outside" facet of it.

Remove ads