• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Player Numbers - The Sweet Spot?

When DMing D&D, what is the perfect number of players to have at your table?

• 1-2

Votes: 1 1.1%

Votes: 12 13.5%

Votes: 54 60.7%

Votes: 44 49.4%

Votes: 9 10.1%

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 8+

Votes: 0 0.0%

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
3rd edition or later: DM & 4-5 players. Possibly as few as 3 if you run a really plot-heavy game with tons of character stuff. 4 is usually the most time-efficient for combat and spotlight-sharing, but with 5 you have a "spare" player, which means better role coverage and you can still easily play a session if someone has to miss it. That's a pretty nice support for campaign consistency and longevity.

TSR-era: 3-4 if you run really plot-heavy, 6-8 if you run mostly classic dungeon crawl and wilderness style adventures. If you have fewer, hirelings can help make up the shortfall.

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
4 or 5 for me. More than that and the action economy is even worse than the rules assume......plus, IMO, players get bored more often while they wait for their turn and it is harder and harder to spread the spotlight....frankly, I think 4 is best, but 5 is close. I'd rather have less than 4 than more than 5 for sure....

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
For me personally, 4 is ideal because it fits the mathematical assumptions of 5e most easily, and it’s enough players to have a diverse group, but not too many to effectively share spotlight time between. 3 or 5 are acceptable, requiring only minimal tweaking from that 4-player baseline. 6 is the maximum number I’m willing to run a game for, and it’s a challenge, but it’s doable. 2 is likewise a challenge, but I’d be willing to run a short game for 2 players.

1 player is a special exception. I actually really like one-on-one play, and would rather run for 1 player than for 2 or 3. I think it actually ties with 4 for me, as the “sweet spot” (or rather, only spot) for a very different, but very enjoyable, mode of play.

4 or 5 (not including DM). Which is better depends on the group. Of course depends on the group is always the correct answer at the end of the day, but for most groups it will be 4 or 5.

Thunder Brother

God Learner
3-5. The Lower end if online, higher if in-person. The ideal for me remains 4. I've ran a very fun one-shot with just 2 players though, super smooth session to run.

I've read of parties of 8 or 9 players, which sounds like an absolute nightmare to me.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
My sweet spot for D&D is 5 players and 1 GM. Too many players is hard in both combat and character development. Though, with 5 players you usually get by with one cancel for life reasons and still be able play.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
4 players at a session for a general game.
5 players for a heavily themed game.

3 players if you have NPC sidekicks, companions, cohorts, mercenaries, and other hanger-ons.

Remove ads