• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Pitching Dragonlance to new players

Dragonlance is like:
-Star Wars with dragons instead of spaceships
-Game of Thrones without all the moral ambiguity
-Lord of the Rings if the hobbits were way more annoying

(edit: Kender joke intended to reflect the commonly expressed sentiment, not to imply that they are objectively bad or bash DL)

Last edited:

bennet

Explorer
The books were good for something written in the 80s. But I never heard of something actually liking the Dragonlance campaign setting or modules. Its like running a middle earth game, but hobbits are little pricks, and none of the iconic locations.

For me at least, "you can ride a dragon into battle" would be a major selling point. The 'eventually' stings, but it's still a cool visual even if doesn't make any sense in the setting.

aco175

Legend
I assume that a hoopak can be a finesse weapon. I would give it 1d4 sling part and 1d6 staff part. Maybe sallow the sling part to be used without an attack of opportunity when next to a bad guy, to make up for the damage drop.

Quickleaf

Legend
I only played a tiiiny bit of Dragonlance, but my impression of its uniqueness was...
  • War ravaged land with marching/occupying dragonarmies, often better to avoid direct confrontation
  • Points of hope/light scattered throughout, offering "Rivendell" moments (some less secure than others)
  • Deep focus on character relationships (PC-PC, and PC-NPC) - probably the most defining feature
  • Character relationships extending to touch cultural & political issues (microcosms)
  • Literary "romance" feel, with chivalric ideals worked into the quests requiring courage & sacrifice
  • Weird spooky society of color-coded wizards who you should keep an eye on
  • Gods may or may not have abandoned humanity, faith is not usually proved through divine magic

Lyxen

Great Old One
What worked for me: Friend: "Read this novel" hand over Dragons of Autumn Twilight
Been a fan of DL and D&D ever since.

Well, first, honestly, the novels are not that good. I will say that they are at the top of the D&D litterature, but that is not saying much. Second, if you do that, you basically give the whole plot of the campaign, which is honestly the best thing of the DL world. I won't go as far as saying the only thing, but frankly I've not been impressed by anything published on DL for D&D after the War of the Lance...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads