• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Persistent regeneration..not kidding here

Belares

First Post
This came up in our last game and I want to see if it is correct. The new source book (Masters of the wild) has new druid and cleric spells and one is the regeneration line of spells.

The cleric in the party asked if he could use them and I said..yes. Then he went on to say..if I can use them then I can use my feat persistent spell with them..right? I said let me see. To my horror he can use persistent spell with the regen line. Which means that he can have him or someone else regening all day.

The 1st level spell (i think) is lesser regeneration and you regen 1 hp/round for 10 rounds plus 1 per 2 levels(I think dont have the book, just going off memory..I heard the snickers). the higher level ones are 2 and 3 per round and I think there is a higher one too.

Ok, is this correct and that he can do what I have said or am I missing something?

Mordekai

First Post
Sorry, no can do

According to the rules for Persistent Spell, the range must be Personal or fixed (e.g. 60 ft.), and spells with a range of "Touch" (the Regenerate Light/Moderate/etc Wounds Spells have a touch range) do not qualify.

So your player can't cast Persistent Regenerate X Wounds.

Belares

First Post
Excellent thanks. I dont mind having rings of regeneration(1 in the party), but having a party that regenerates all the time would be a terrible hassle(unless it was a party of trolls hehe).

Then again, it would take up the higher level spell slots (5th for 1st, 6th for 2nd, etc.) then you could empower and persistant spell, right? Hehe ouch that would be interesting.

tarsque

First Post
Re: Sorry, no can do

Mordekai said:
According to the rules for Persistent Spell, the range must be Personal or fixed (e.g. 60 ft.), and spells with a range of "Touch" (the Regenerate Light/Moderate/etc Wounds Spells have a touch range) do not qualify.

So your player can't cast Persistent Regenerate X Wounds.

I just wanted to clarify what is actually stated in TaB. It says that to use Persistent Spell the range must be personal or fixed. It does not specifically state that touch is not allowed.

I take fixed to mean that the range does not change with level.

I would argue that touch spells do have a fixed range of 0. That is unless it has been clarified somewhere.

IceBear

Explorer
I think it was clarified somewhere, but I'm having problems accessing the DNDFAQ right now, so I can't check there.

IceBear

kreynolds

First Post
IceBear said:
I think it was clarified somewhere, but I'm having problems accessing the DNDFAQ right now, so I can't check there.

IceBear

Here ya' go...

Would spells that have touch range, such as spell resistance, be considered to have a fixed range, and therefore be usable with the Persistent Spell feat?
No. Range touch is not "fixed" for purposes of the Persistent Spell feat. The spell must affect the caster's person (personal range) or have some effect that radiates from the caster's person (a fixed range, expressed in feet).

Last edited:

IceBear

Explorer
Thanks kreynolds. I usually keep the latest FAQ on my harddrive, but I must have went a little nuts when cleaning up my disk last week :)

IceBear

kreynolds

First Post
IceBear said:
Thanks kreynolds. I usually keep the latest FAQ on my harddrive, but I must have went a little nuts when cleaning up my disk last week :)

IceBear

You should get a bigger drive. I have a 160GB and a 40GB at home. I haven't cleaned my bigger drive in months.

...eww.

IceBear

Explorer
Actually, it wasn't for space. I'm one of those freaks who dislikes clutter, and for some reason on my work pc I had it in my temp directory which I tend to purge from time to time and just forgot to copy it :)

IceBear

Metalsmith

First Post
Just wondering if any of you would have a problem with a character researching his own "version" of Regenerate with the exact same spell description except the range being personal?

Metalsmith

Remove ads