• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) People called me a troll but I called it that they were gonna Buff the Wizard

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Tabby's force ball *

fireball that is force and only effects enemies has no components and has 6,000 extra ft of range will take a few weeks but will be so the best 3rd level spell ever.

*TM pending

I guess they didn't name the company Monks of the Coast
Heh... here's precisely why I can't get really bent out of shape about any of the game mechanic changes in these packets. Because your spell here that has no components and a 6000 foot range? In my game at my table... means absolutely diddly-squat. ;)

Range has NEVER been an issue in any combats I've ever seen (and thus going out to 6000 feet is meaningless), and we barely use components ever. So the only thing in your Forceball that I would ever consider to be an issue would be the change of Fire to Force... but even that, energy resistance comes up so infrequently in any of our games that I just can't care that this "new spell" would get around the few creatures that had fire resistance. A minor boost at best. And thus these Modify Spell rules are cute, but not nearly a game breaker by any stretch at my table.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Range has NEVER been an issue in any combats I've ever seen (and thus going out to 6000 feet is meaningless), and we barely use components ever. So the only thing in your Forceball that I would ever consider to be an issue would be the change of Fire to Force... but even that, energy resistance comes up so infrequently in any of our games that I just can't care that this "new spell" would get around the few creatures that had fire resistance. A minor boost at best. And thus these Modify Spell rules are cute, but not nearly a game breaker by any stretch at my table.
Allies getting immunity to AOE spells is a pretty big upgrade, though, isn't it? Being able to center them on the martials without needing to replace all your meatshields after each battle is a big upgrade to wizards.

Heh... here's precisely why I can't get really bent out of shape about any of the game mechanic changes in these packets. Because your spell here that has no components and a 6000 foot range? In my game at my table... means absolutely diddly-squat. ;).
I think you missed the joke (and point)
Range has NEVER been an issue in any combats I've ever seen (and thus going out to 6000 feet is meaningless), and we barely use components ever.
that just makes it silent still and no physical items needed and the range was mostly for lol...
So the only thing in your Forceball that I would ever consider to be an issue would be the change of Fire to Force... but even that, energy resistance comes up so infrequently in any of our games that I just can't care that this "new spell" would get around the few creatures that had fire resistance. A minor boost at best. And thus these Modify Spell rules are cute, but not nearly a game breaker by any stretch at my table.
you missed I can drop Tabby's Force ball in the middle of melee and not hit our melee combatants.

now you can say range doesn't matter but if I am on a hill and see your enemy forces it WILL matter, especially at a 3rd level spell that is just better...

but in story in game it now makes sense why fireball is better then other third level spells

Modify Spell can't convert the damage type to Force, it's not listed among the damage types in the spell description.

While the range upgrade is probably too much, it's Wizard level x 30 feet. That means the most a (20th level) Wizard can increase it by is 600 feet.

TheHand

Adventurer
Tabby's force ball *

fireball that is force and only effects enemies has no components and has 6,000 extra ft of range will take a few weeks but will be so the best 3rd level spell ever.

*TM pending

I guess they didn't name the company Monks of the Coast
Looking forward to the book announcement of "Tabby's Grimoire of Broken Spell Crafting", naturally after the TM is processed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads