• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paul Bettany as the Vision

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Probably not news to people here, but I was delighted to find out just now that Paul Bettany is playing The Vision in Avengers 2. One of my favourite superheroes from the 70's, huzzah!

It makes sense since the vision was originally created by Ultron to fight the avengers, but I'd not dared hope that it would be so.

Can't wait to see what Bettany does with the role.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm not familiar with his work, other than as the voice of Jarvis. And, to be honest, I originally mistook him for Jude Law as that voice (I wasn't watching the cast lists).

So, other than being that voice, what's he good at, in terms of his acting?

Nellisir

Hero
I'm not familiar with his work, other than as the voice of Jarvis. And, to be honest, I originally mistook him for Jude Law as that voice (I wasn't watching the cast lists).
So, other than being that voice, what's he good at, in terms of his acting?

Paul Bettany? He's awesome.

He was Chaucer in A Knight's Tale. He was in Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World; A Beautiful Mind; Dogville; Wimbledon; and The Da Vinci Code. He doesn't seem to be as prolific as some actors, but I always like him.

Also, married to Jennifer Connelly, so officially luckiest man in the world. :)

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
He was Chaucer in A Knight's Tale. He was in Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World; A Beautiful Mind; Dogville; Wimbledon; and The Da Vinci Code. He doesn't seem to be as prolific as some actors, but I always like him.

Yeah, but if I have not seen those films, or don't remember him in them, that doesn't tell me much. That's why I asked - what is he *good* at? What are his roles like, what does he do well in them? What, makes him awesome where other actors aren't?

Nellisir

Hero
Yeah, but if I have not seen those films, or don't remember him in them, that doesn't tell me much. That's why I asked - what is he *good* at? What are his roles like, what does he do well in them? What, makes him awesome where other actors aren't?
You mean aside from Jennifer Connelly?

I think that's really really subjective. Personally, I find him...engaging. He's convincing. He's believable. He has charisma. I'd say I find him human, but since his roles have included an insane albino monk, an archangel, and now a robot, I'm not sure that's helpful. (Looking at his movies, I actually find his recent career choices rather odd.)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You mean aside from Jennifer Connelly?

That may make his personal life awesome - but it doesn't make his acting awesome :)

Not that I'm going to miss Avengers 2 no matter what this one actor is like, of course. Marvel has built up a *lot* of goodwill in my movie-watching mind :)

Nellisir

Hero
That may make his personal life awesome - but it doesn't make his acting awesome :)
There is a point at which the awesome transcends.

I like him and I've enjoyed him in films, and that's about as far as I can go. Judging by this thread, no one else quite knows how to answer your question either. I'd suggest watching A Knights Tale or Master and Commander and deciding for yourself.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Probably not news to people here, but I was delighted to find out just now that Paul Bettany is playing The Vision in Avengers 2. One of my favourite superheroes from the 70's, huzzah!
I had a subscription to the Avengers growing up and I always wondered what the Scarlet Witch saw in Vision.

I still wonder, but now I can ask you: How did their relationship start? Why was she in love with him? He always seemed distant and robotic (duh) to me.

I like Bettany as an actor. He has played some cool roles. I think he was the best character in A Knight's Tale. Still, I never imagined Vision sounding like him. It seems odd. Maybe I'll like it when the movie comes out, but for now, it's just not what I expected.

what is he *good* at? What are his roles like, what does he do well in them? What, makes him awesome where other actors aren't?

Among other things, I think Bettany does "ethereal" very well. He has talent for acting like his character is socially removed while still emotionally motivated, or vice versa.

As Jarvis, for example, he makes it sound like the computer is realistic, aware, and active in the conversation, but still not completely human. His live-action characters in Priest and Legion were similar to this (a religious Judge Dread type and a violent angel, respectively), and he did a good job in both roles. His physical presence is also kind of odd - pale, very defined facial structure, and a little gangly, which helps a lot in these roles. Obviously, he also has the necessary experience with action and special effects.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads