• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OT) Road to Perdition

GreyOne

Explorer
Went to see this last night.

Awesome movie. I don't know what it is about the 1920s and the 1930s, but I love the timeframe. The fashions, the attitudes, the culture. This is a gangster masterpiece.

The acting, setting and story were very good. Hanks, Law and Newman do a superb job and the kid was satisfyingly unannoying. Law was very creepy as a hitman.

I really liked how the director used windows and mirrors to show reflections. Sam Mendes is brilliant.

Oscar material. I couldn't keep my eyes off this flick.

Anyone who doesn't now what perdition means, its like damnation.

KnowTheToe

First Post
I hope to see it this weekend. I have realy been looking forward to this movie.

OT: I am tired of sequals, I am currently banning them because I am bored watching the same movies and characters. Sequals are approved before any story has been created, a very bad way to start the creative process IMO.

Furn_Darkside

First Post
***spoilers***

Salutations,

I am going to let slip some minor spoilers or hints toward spoliers.. so skip this post if you have not seen the movie.

GreyOne said:

Oscar material.

Well, considering the names involved- and how the media has been saying that in every sentence about this movie- I would agree.

I couldn't keep my eyes off this flick.

What else, exactly, are you going to be looking at in the theater?

Ok, to be serious, the movie was ok.

I will agree the filming of the movie was impressive, but the acting was so-so. Paul Newman was decent, but Tom Hanks (once again) played the same role he has been playing in his last few movies.. he was just there. Jude Law was impressive.

The dialogue was rather poor. I felt like I did when I saw Titanic- where I could say the dialogue with the characters- and during my first time watching it. If anyone in the theater can not guess what the final word of dialogue is- then..maybe hollywood has it right about the viewing audiance (sorry, ok, back to being serious...).

The characters were not that good either, especialy Paul Newman's character's son. They had a good opportunity to examine the relationship between two brothers and the father-figure (both in Hank's blood family- and his relationship with Newman and his son), but it was missed or just not taken.

The story was probably the worst part of the movie (ok, it might tie with dialogue) - the worst offending moment being the events leading up to the final meeting between Hanks and Newman's son. It was ridiculous considering what Hanks had done. I understand the feelings of those involved towards Newman's son, but that could not even come close to balancing out Hank's behavior.

Overall, I enjoyed watching the movie, but I know a movie is lacking when I don't bother thinking about it 30 seconds after leaving the theater.

It had good previews though...

FD

GreyOne

Explorer
MAJOR SPOILERS

Dude. I don't agree with a single thing you just said.

Acting. Ok?

That was Hank's darkest role. He was vengeance personified. The scene where he takes out the father because he knows its the only way to get to the son was damn powerful. When he was about to shoot Rooney, you could see the pain on his face. He also barely registers emotion towards his son. He can't get past the life he's lead. It would be better for his son to just leave, but he can't do it. Vengeance has him totally ensnared and he doesn't waver once.

Newman. Every time he was on, he dominated the screen. Menacing, torn by love and loyalty, it's his best performance in years.

Law. The guy is mesmerizing to watch. Every creepy scene.

The characters were not that good either, especialy Paul Newman's character's son. They had a good opportunity to examine the relationship between two brothers and the father-figure (both in Hank's blood family- and his relationship with Newman and his son), but it was missed or just not taken.

They totally demonstrated this. In multiple scenes. They build it up until the moment where nobody can turn back. One example: The meeting scene with the son at the opposite end of the table was great. As Rooney walks away with his arm around Sullivan, Connor just sitting there, jeez, that tells you the whole relationship right there.

The story was probably the worst part of the movie (ok, it might tie with dialogue) - the worst offending moment being the events leading up to the final meeting between Hanks and Newman's son. It was ridiculous considering what Hanks had done. I understand the feelings of those involved towards Newman's son, but that could not even come close to balancing out Hank's behavior.

The story is from a graphic novel. I thought the story was one of the biggest strengths. Why were the events leading up to the final meeting bad or unlikely? I'm not really sure what you're saying here.

I'm still thinking about it two days later. Sign of a good movie.

Last edited:

Remove ads