D&D General One thing I hate about the Sorcerer

Then why are so many people against calling it what it is?
I am not against or for, except maybe in sense that I am against cluttering the books with useless things. But ultimately I don't care, and I think it is frankly bizarre that you do. Like after all these posts I cannot understand why it matters and what you need this information for and why you cannot decide it yourself in some unlikely situation it actually somehow mattered.

But they don't WANT purely mundane fighters. They want amazingly magical but don't say magic fighters. They want Superman's abilities and Batman's origins. They want all the benefits of spellcasting and none of the finger-waggiling limitations.

So don't tell me you want John McClain or Boromir. You want Wolverine and Hercules wearing John McClain and Boromir's clothes.
I don't want John McLain. John McLain is a pathetic choice of exemplar for a D&D fighter. For all the world I wish his name to never be spoken again

I'd be pretty darned happy with Batman's abilities regardless of origin. Stuns, sleeps, paralyzes, restraints, reliable vertical movement, discount flight

The current fighter isn't even close at any level.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I am not against or for, except maybe in sense that I am against cluttering the books with useless things. But ultimately I don't care, and I think it is frankly bizarre that you do. Like after all these posts I cannot understand why it matters and what you need this information for and why you cannot decide it yourself in some unlikely situation it actually somehow mattered.
Like I said, the game is inconsistent, and I appreciate the validation of someone agreeing with that, even if they fall on the other side of preference from me. @Gammadoodler did that recently and I appreciated it. It doesn't matter to my game, but I am interested in the argument and have a clear opinion.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I don't want John McLain. John McLain is a pathetic choice of exemplar for a D&D fighter. For all the world I wish his name to never be spoken again

I'd be pretty darned happy with Batman's abilities regardless of origin. Stuns, sleeps, paralyzes, restraints, reliable vertical movement, discount flight

The current fighter isn't even close at any level.
Most of that is gear-based. You ok with that?

Most of that is gear-based. You ok with that?
As long as it's baked into the class/subclass, sure.

I wouldn't love it as the only option to get those kinds of effects, but I'm ultimately more interested in the effects than the origins.

Edit: and I think folks make mistakes in who they choose as their ideal fantasy exemplar for the class. Batman fights threats that would not be out of place in a high level D&D campaign. John McLain and Boromir do not.

Last edited:

Funny how we prescribe that to D&D but nobody bats an eye when an RPG like Shadowrun, World of Darkness or Warhammer clearly marry their lore to their rules. D&D though has to be all things to all people.
How many different settings does Shadowrun have? Or World of Darkness?

Ravnica, Eberron, Theros and Planscape are very different settings. So it’s not unreasonable to say that the Weave (an FR element) shouldn’t be included in the PHB (except maybe as an example) because it doesn’t exist in Theros, Eberron or Ravnica.

Remove ads