• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 On Deities weapons in 3.5 edition

Merlion

First Post
So far the only classes I know they are modifying are Ranger, Monk, Bard and Druid in order of severity as we know it.
Many people have responded to my thread saying Paladins need more smites and better spells and mounts however. Not a bad idea. My brother has suggested to me that barbarians should get a natural armor bonus as they gain levels, perhaps in place of Uncanny Dodge. Interesting idea.

Spatula

Explorer
Merlion said:
And what about deities like Eilistraee? she's not a war goddess and doesnt have the war Domain but she is the godess of swordplay...and skill with swords is a tenet of her religion.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Eilistraee an ELVEN goddess? All elves are automatically proficient with swords and bows.

Merlion

First Post
Eiliastraee is merely an example of a deity who is not a "war god" and doesnt have the War Domain but has either a strong strong assocation with there favored weapon, or something combat-related in there portfolio(or both in her case)
Beside which: She's a drow goddess. she has drow, surface elven, half elven and human worshipers.
Her specfic favored weapon is bastard sword with which elves are not profcient.
And I dont believe drow get the longsword or rapier proficiency anyway

Geoff Watson

First Post
Merlion said:
Eiliastraee is merely an example of a deity who is not a "war god" and doesnt have the War Domain but has either a strong strong assocation with there favored weapon, or something combat-related in there portfolio(or both in her case)
Beside which: She's a drow goddess. she has drow, surface elven, half elven and human worshipers.
Her specfic favored weapon is bastard sword with which elves are not profcient.
And I dont believe drow get the longsword or rapier proficiency anyway

Why did they change it?
Her favoured weapon in 2e was longsword.

Techinally drow get longsword or rapier and bows proficiency, though many DMs change this.

Geoff.

Merlion

First Post
Maybe I'm hallucinating again...I thought it was bastard sword in both but I might be crazy...
I agree with that. the elven bow/sword profciencies are cultural...drow are no longer part of elven culture.

Malin Genie

First Post
Of course, if emulating their deity is important to them for stylistic reasons, but they are not particularly focussed on martial exploits (i.e. no War domain) then they can always use their deity's favoured weapon and suck up the non-proficiency penalty.

For a not very strong cleric who doesn't focus on melee, the difference in overall contribution to the combat is not much. They may well just act as a flank anchor while fighting defensively until needed to heal - and if my 8 Strength cleric attacks defensively at -5 with a mace for 1d8-1 damage, why not just attack defensively at -9 with a bastard sword for 1d10-1? The occasional 3 or 4 points of damage I score is not as good IMHO as the stylistic/RP bonus of using the deity's favoured weapon.

Merlion

First Post
Well every cleric I have known, and every cleric I have created, has taken the feat for proficiency with there deities weapon if it was needed. I personaly dont abject to the idea of clerics reciving this automaticaly, although it might prove slightly powerful. And it would make massive in-world sense.

Destil

Explorer
The only thing I think really might be nice to have adressed is creating a domain aside from war that grants this benifit, for other types of martial aproaches (a deity who's portifolio focused on dueling, for instance). But that's a very minor issue.

Merlion

First Post
Some more core domains would be nice. better/more balanced with each other granted powers. Some of em are great, but some of em stink.

isoChron

First Post
Hmm, help me out. I think I read somewhere (FAQ?) that druids in the FR get free proficiencies in their deities favored weapon (maul for silvanus for example). I'm not sure where this was mentioned but I think it was not a 3rd party source. As druids being a kind of cleric I think it should be a free proficiency for all clerics. Just MHO.

War Domain : "Granted Power: Free Martial Weapon Proficiency (if necessary) and Weapon Focus with the deity’s favored weapon."
So still no proficiency with a whip, but a bonus to attack with the deities fav. weapon. More than a proficiency alone would grant. Remember, the bastardsword has to be used with both hands because you still need exotic proficiency (bastard sword) to weild it one handed.

BYE

Remove ads