• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Older Settings that Deserve a Another Chance

MGibster

Legend
A battlelords guy came into the sfrpg group on fb and called me a "woke fascist", worst advertising campaign ever, I now have low to no desire to know anything more about it. The game from the past that I might like to see more of is Alternity, it was like there for a minute, and then gone. Which is kind of a weird thing in that one would think it would have stayed around longer.
I remember seeing Alternity at the game store, but I had pretty much been through with TSR by the late 1990s and I never really knew what the game was all about. Even looking at Wikipedia, I still don't know what the game was about. Did it have a setting?

Both the rules and the setting would need an update, but Mayfair's Underground had some cool ideas.
I don't recall ever seeing this one, but any setting description that begins with "The future timeline of Underground begins with a UFO crash in 1996 in the Florida everglades" has got my attention and it only gets better with the assassination of rapper-activist Flavor Flav and Chuck D. This is definitely a setting that deserves a closer look.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
PE getting assassinated doesn't sound so great, I never heard of that, that lessens my interest for sure. I think I mostly heard of the Star Drive setting, and Zebulon's Guide.

MGibster

Legend
PE getting assassinated doesn't sound so great, I never heard of that, that lessens my interest for sure. I think I mostly heard of the Star Drive setting, and Zebulon's Guide.
Why does PE getting assassinated bother you? I certainly wouldn't want them to be harmed in real life, but as part of a dystopian setting with plenty of crazy elements I don't have any objections.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Why does PE getting assassinated bother you? I certainly wouldn't want them to be harmed in real life, but as part of a dystopian setting with plenty of crazy elements I don't have any objections.
As my primary training as an engineer, I look at questions from all angles, falsifiability; so why does it not bother you? I can answer why it bothers me.

There was a GURPS book covering Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. I think there are rights issues keeping any new games (computer or TT) being made for it, but I found the setting really cool.

I'd like to see ICEs original spacemaster setting re-done with a more playable rules system, hobewtly it had the potential to be 'game of thrones ' in space. I thought everything but the system in that game was AAA+ quality. Gurps would make ir run easier, chargen in tge original was very hard IIRC.

I don't see anything here about anyone being assassinated, why did you mention that?

Remove ads