• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OD&D [OD&D] New Spells (from my son)

My 12-year-old is playing a magic user in one of my OD&D (white box) games. He submitted write-ups for some spells his Theurgist (4th lvl magic user) is thinking about researching. Some of these are obviously going to be too powerful for him to research (he knows that, though). Anyway, here they are, as submitted to me. Any suggestions for appropriate levels and/or modifications?

RAIDEN'S INSTANT FUNGI FOREST

The user creates an instant forest of fungi that go up to the average man's knees making creatures that move through have half their regular move.

RAIDEN'S DEADLY INSTANT FUNGI FOREST

The same as the Instant Fungi Forest, but moving through the fungi causes clouds of magical spores. Roll for effect:
1 = poison
2 = sleep
3 = laughing gas
4 = paralyzes
5 = dizziness
6 = berserk

DEEP FOREST CREATION

Creates a tangle of branches thick as tree trunks come bursting out of the walls and floor in a tangle so huge people caught in it can't move at all. The forest can be burned, for the record.

SHADOW REAPER

Range 15 ft. from caster
2d4 creatures in range are dragged into another dimension by shadow worm-like tentacles that burst out of the ground

STRIKING SNAKES

range 8 ft. from caster
Creates two snakes out of the caster's hand that protect the 8 ft. wide radius of a circle. If an other creature comes in the circle 1 of the snakes attack having a venomous bite the creature continues to take 1d4 damage unless a saving throw is made.

RAIDEN'S MAGICAL INSTANT GLUTTONY

Duration: see below
Range: touch

The user makes the target instantly so fat they fall over. It is impossible to move by oneself. This change is permanent unless a dispel magic spell is cast.

PIPES OF MADNESS

Caster makes anyone who enters the room hear beautiful music and have a happy feeling and must make a Wisdom check every round or lose of point of Int and Wis. If either one is reduced to zero the victim goes mad.

THE CHARM OF FLESH CRAVING

The caster makes the target have a sudden intense craving for food. If the saving throw is made, the target wants normal food, and will immediately go to find some. If the saving throw is failed, the target has a craving for the flesh of its own kind, and will immediately attack and mutilate the nearest creature of the same race.

(More to come, including the CHAOS ARROW, BODY FUNGUS, and MOMMY'S BOY...)

Another batch:

CHAOS ARROW

Creates an arrow that attacks like a normal arrow but with more research can be randomly charged. Roll 1d6 and consult chart:
1 = fire
2 = poison
3 = acid
4 = frost
5 = lightning
6 = paralysis

I'm thinking this one would be similar to acid arrow. The poison and paralysis effects could be toned down from the usual meanings. Maybe poison just does a few rounds of damage, and paralysis is slowness or shaking that gives a penalty to all actions for a couple of rounds?

BODY FUNGUS

This spell affects 3d4 targets in the magic user's sight. Those affected all sprout only a few fungi at first, but as time goes on more and more pain is caused and the fungi get bigger and more sprout. Only a remove curse spell can remove this spell. Thus fungus also do not allow you to wear armor for it crushes them and causes you pain. If anyone tries to remove them by cutting them off it causes hit points damage. If all fungi are cut off the victim dies.

He obviously likes fungi and curse-type spells, huh? :D To lower the level on this one, I'd probably make it a single victim and require a touch attack. The growths would prevent armor use, and would give a penalty to all actions and probably a Cha adjustment as well.

MOMMY'S BOY

Makes the target miss his mother so much that he starts to cry uncontrollably for her and miss her. He immediately goes to find and stay with her for the next 24 hours. If his mom is already dead he goes to her grave and mourns for her for the next 24 hours, forgetting completely about eating and resting.

I thought this one was especially inspired. ;D I believe it's based off his little brother.

SPELL OF THE GREAT JACOB

Creates an invisible annoying little creature that makes rude remarks, annoying noises, and just makes you mad, making it very hard to battle. All attacks are at a -5 penalty and all damage is -2. The creature sticks with 48 hours until it disappears.
Another spell inspired by his little brother. To lower the level, I'd tone down the penalty, but make it apply to all actions, and I'd get rid of the damage adjustment. The creature is an extra-planar entity, so a protection from evil spell would defend against it.

CURSE OF ZOMBIE FORM

Make the target make a saving throw vs. magic or take the form of a zombie. This is just an illusion. To others this makes his Cha 3. When talking, others hear just moans and groans. To the target, nothing has changed. A remove curse spell will destroy the illusion.
He was looking over my shoulder as I read D&D forums, and someone's avatar inspired this spell.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Heh, some of these are quite cool. Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with OD&D at all, but I can see some similarities to say, BD&D (the one I started with).

Sorry, probably can't help with balance and such, but yeah, just thought I'd mention the fact that I found some of them quite interesting (and either amusing or downright nasty, here and there). :)

It's great to see people - of any age - realising how flexible RPGs can be, and freely experimenting with them.

Cheers.

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I thought the spells were pretty cool, too; I'd have been hard pressed to come up with some of that stuff, and would have thought much more in "game terms" than he did.

It's been cool seeing how his spell research excited the group. I got spell submissions from other players the very next session, and suddenly they're wanting to get more treasure to fund their research. They have a lot of "buy in" to the characters.

I picked out a few of these and tweaked them for appropriate levels; my son ended up picking "The Lesser Hex of Body Fungus" for his spell to research. It's 1st level, is a touch attack against a single enemy, has a saving throw, and gives them large fungal growths on their skin that prevent them from wearing armor or tight clothing (but no additional penalty if they're wearing loose clothing or no clothing). It lasts until dispelled (remove curse will also work).

Starbuck_II

First Post
DEEP FOREST CREATION

Creates a tangle of branches thick as tree trunks come bursting out of the walls and floor in a tangle so huge people caught in it can't move at all. The forest can be burned, for the record.
Sounds like Entangle spell, but can be burned.

SHADOW REAPER

Range 15 ft. from caster
2d4 creatures in range are dragged into another dimension by shadow worm-like tentacles that burst out of the ground
So if there a save vs spells? Is it a duration like Maze?
I'd need more info.

Wolv0rine

First Post
Hey, thanks for the feedback. I thought the spells were pretty cool, too; I'd have been hard pressed to come up with some of that stuff, and would have thought much more in "game terms" than he did.

It's been cool seeing how his spell research excited the group. I got spell submissions from other players the very next session, and suddenly they're wanting to get more treasure to fund their research. They have a lot of "buy in" to the characters.

I picked out a few of these and tweaked them for appropriate levels; my son ended up picking "The Lesser Hex of Body Fungus" for his spell to research. It's 1st level, is a touch attack against a single enemy, has a saving throw, and gives them large fungal growths on their skin that prevent them from wearing armor or tight clothing (but no additional penalty if they're wearing loose clothing or no clothing). It lasts until dispelled (remove curse will also work).

Dude, there's gotta be some kinda Cha penalty for sprouting fungi all over your body, doesn't there? :)

And yeah, creative kid you've got there. :)

Remove ads