• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Noob question: what's your favorite 1st lvl adventure?

Lojaan

Hero
Hey all,

Am hoping to bring a 4ed group over to Pathfinder. To help me with my quest, what would you recommend in terms of 1st level adventures? Adventure paths included.

You expert opinions are hereby sought.

Gorbacz

Banned
Banned
I'd go with either Crypt of Everflame, Godsmouth Heresy (both for PFRPG) or Hollow's Last Hope (3.5, requires a few minutes of conversion work).

Erik Mona's Whispering Cairn is still the pinnacle of 1st level adventures. While it is 3.5, conversion to Pathfinder rules would be simple. The question then becomes whether you go the whole Age of Worms adventure path or not. Either way, I could not recommend Whispering Cairn more strongly as the king of 1st level adventures - and very very deadly to boot.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
Personally I am having a blast with Kingmaker, of course it could just be down to an excellent group and DM, but from the praise constantly showered upon the AP I doubt it.

I personally love The Whispering Cairn, but I would recommend against it in this instance, its strictly for those who enjoy their game tough. If your group are not optimizers the chances of a TPK are fairly high.

grgrsslldlln

First Post
While it is 3.5, conversion to Pathfinder rules would be simple. The question then becomes whether you go the whole Age of Worms adventure path or not.

In my mind, the next question is, "How simple?" What EXACTLY would need to be done for the conversion? And then how much additional work would it be to convert the entire adventure path if that's what was decided?

Steel_Wind

Legend
I recommend The Haunting of Harrowstone, Vol 1 of the Carrion Crown Adventure Path, by Michael Kortes.

PZO9043_180.jpeg

This is now my favorite "first AP module" in all of Paizo's many Adventure Path series.

A super effort turned in by Mike Kortes as principal author, Brandon Hodge for his awesome design work on Haunts, and to James Jacobs, Rob McCreary and Wes Schneider for their excellent work in creating the overall story, development and presentation of the Carrion Crown AP. And oh yes, new variant rules for animated objects, too! (by Adam Daigle IIRC.)

I've read them all, played in (or GM'd) most and this gets the nod from me.

A great coherent story, excellent mood and pacing, engaging encounters, strong theme and innovative game mechanics with the new Haunts, as presented by Brandon Hodge and implemented by Mike Kortes.

This module is ENnie award winning material, in my opinion.

Re: The Whispering Cairn : The Whispering Cairn is my favorite module of the 3.5 era and Erik Mona's sense of pacing in the module is second to none. Erik uses a very clever bit of design work in the module at one point to force the party to leave the dungeon to go back in to Diamond Lake to "solve" a barrier which otherwise prevents further progression. Top notch design. That said, it is a very difficult module, and for as much that I love The Whispering Cairn for getting Paizo's revised AP concept on track with a phenomenal module? I might just like The Haunting of Harrowstone even more. :)

Certainly, if the goal is to present your first Pathfinder module to your group and make it fun, you don't need the second guessing that goes along with making the conversion changes nencessary to make The Whispering Cairn work well with your PFRPG group (In particular, some changes to the way swarms operate in PFRPG and the overall CRs of the final encounters are a little tricky and a design distraction from your first go with Pathfinder, imo).

Last edited:

Remove ads