• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E No next turn, indefiniate effect?

cjais

First Post
While I agree Bagpuss' dm is well....wrong, guys let's try to be a bit more positive in helping BP, give some more rules quotes and ways to convince the DM he is wrong.

Seriously, it's a problem I actually recently considered, when designing a monster with a condition that ends on its next turn. Dwelling briefly on the hilarity of ruling like Bagpuss' DM did, I ended up ruling that the monster's initiative card stays in the stack until all such conditions have ended. They thus last as long as they normally would - I found it weird if they got cut short just because the monster died prematurely. Of course, one could rule they would in fact get cut short, if we're talking about spell-like abilities or some such.

Bigwilly

First Post
While I agree Bagpuss' dm is well....wrong, guys let's try to be a bit more positive in helping BP, give some more rules quotes and ways to convince the DM he is wrong.

Ok, being slightly more constructive - on the Gloomblade's initiative what action did he take? Well as he was dead, probably none. Also because he was dead, he probably did not sustain the effect (assuming he could). The Gloomblade's turn then ends and the next character's turn starts.

Any complaints that it's not fair that the Gloomblade didn't get to act just because he was dead should be answered with a quick knee to the groin (see previous post).

inkmonkeys

First Post
Next time you lay a nasty condition on a monster, ask the DM if you can spend an action point to stab yourself in the heart and make the condition last forever.

Though it makes me wonder if permanent death curses get their start through this sort of abuse.

FickleGM

Explorer
Hello idea!

All creatures with "until end of next turn" powers will now be killed by their superiors after using said powers so that said effects will last indefinitely. :D

Hello idea!

All creatures with "until end of next turn" powers will now be killed by their superiors after using said powers so that said effects will last indefinitely. :D

This can be improved by getting a (minion) hireling with a nice "until end of its turn" which you can stab afterwards...

more serious:

ask your DM how he rules the goblin dragonshield's mark, which last until its next turn...

ask your DM how he rules the mind flayer's dominate effect which lasts until the mind flayer's next turn

look how the delay action interacts with "until end of your turn" powers

Mengu

First Post
Yeah I pointed to that, but he pointed out that the Gloomblade was dead not unconscious.

So, dead people are conscious? Well then, that shouldn't be a problem at all. They should be taking their turn, and the effect will expire at the end of their turn. :erm:

Sorry, I know not helpful.

The intent of "until the end of your next turn" is fairly clear. It is a clean way for an effect to last 1 round and still allow you to benefit from the effect during your next turn. As already mentioned, taking a look at how delaying interacts with this rule should make the intent clearer.

ricardo440

First Post
This croped up in my game.

I thought about it and rulled this.

Effects caused by a creature that are "Save ends" continue after a creature dies.
Effects caused by a creature that are "Till the end of the creatures next turn" die with them.

I feel that those effects are usually ones that are actively caused by the creature, and so it is necessary for the creature to be there to cause them. Save ends ones are things more like you are on fire, so it doesn't matter if the source is dead, they will linger.

I don't think that is official, I actually think it is more likely the RAW is that you end things when the INIT count of the dead creature arrives, but I found that a bit silly.

I'm not sure (no books at hand) but take a look at the ready and delay actions. Somewhere there should be something that makes it obvious that death will not "sustain" the condition.

Remove ads