• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC No new DMs Guild Adept titles since mid-December?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Can you expound more on this? Is that an average figure, an aggregate of total sales on one platform versus the other, or something else? Does it take into account that (insofar as I know) all products on the DMs Guild can be found on DriveThruRPG, but the reverse isn't true? Given that there's surely a broad range of sales for companies/individuals on both platforms, I'm very curious about how this breaks down.
I don't know. Just what DTRPG reps have said to me in passing conversation. I didn't pursue it, as my main sales venue is Kickstarter.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Any update on this front? Still no new DM's Guild Adept titles since December – a lot of folks were speculating they were saving the effort for Ravenloft, but no show!

I wonder if we'll even get an AL00-series tie in book like Pipyap's guide or Knuckleheads and Other Curiosities… I feel like they might be shifting the big digital tie-ins over to the AL00-series and away from the Guild Adepts, but if so, we wouldn't get anything until the Feywild AL season starts in September…

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I saw mentioned on ENWorld that the person in charge of the program for WotC is notably not responding to questions about it on Twitter. I feel like something must be unresolved for them not to say, one way or another.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I saw mentioned on ENWorld that the person in charge of the program for WotC is notably not responding to questions about it on Twitter. I feel like something must be unresolved for them not to say, one way or another.
Thanks, W.D.

That's more insight than I had. Guild Adept articles (in addition to WotC-written articles and AL00-series articles) are the only MUST-BUY purchases I make on DMs Guild…

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
So… was this unofficially shut down bc WotC wants to focus their Extra Life, Unearthed Arcana, etc official releases now through D&D Beyond?

I know the two services had mutually exclusive licenses but now that Hasbro owns DDB, they probably want to avoid utilising or promoting DriveThruRPG’s platform as much as possible given that they’re sort of in competition now?
Adventurer’s League is still publishing their (free) resources through DM’s Guild, and dungeoncrafting Community Content via the Guild, but have just released their final 4 AL-official admin-created adventures (intro adventures for Dream of the Red Wizards) last week. They are are no longer releasing semi-official supplements or adventurers akin to past seasons, instead encouraging AL tables to utilise the Spelljammer books first this season, and then follow it up with Community Created Content from their partners at Baldman Games and The GameHole.

So is DM’s Guild is a dead chicken walking now? The Guild Adept program at least seems completely abandoned now; their page on WotC’s website doesn’t exist anymore (the website updated sometime this year and you can’t even access sufficiently old UA articles anymore).

So… was this unofficially shut down bc WotC wants to focus their Extra Life, Unearthed Arcana, etc official releases now through D&D Beyond?

I know the two services had mutually exclusive licenses but now that Hasbro owns DDB, they probably want to avoid utilising or promoting DriveThruRPG’s platform as much as possible given that they’re sort of in competition now?
Adventurer’s League is still publishing their (free) resources through DM’s Guild, and dungeoncrafting Community Content via the Guild, but have just released their final 4 AL-official admin-created adventures (intro adventures for Dream of the Red Wizards) last week. They are are no longer releasing semi-official supplements or adventurers akin to past seasons, instead encouraging AL tables to utilise the Spelljammer books first this season, and then follow it up with Community Created Content from their partners at Baldman Games and The GameHole.

So is DM’s Guild is a dead chicken walking now? The Guild Adept program at least seems completely abandoned now; their page on WotC’s website doesn’t exist anymore (the website updated sometime this year and you can’t even access sufficiently old UA articles anymore).
Wow that's a bit worrying. If WotC are just intending to throw all third-party support overboard now they have DDB, that would really suck. But equally supporting 3PP stuff on DDB would require more effort than they seem likely to be willing to put in, so it may well be the case.

I certainly hope they don't "do a 4E"/"do a GSL" and de facto shut down cooperation with 3PPs with One D&D. That'd be a mistake. They should know that by now.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

I don't thinknthe two are linked: the DMsGuild Adept wound down way before the Beyind deal was a thing. Most likely situation is that the DMsGuild scene took off enough that WotC didn't think it was worth resources to try and foster beginners when the community was already going full steam in their own.

I don't thinknthe two are linked: the DMsGuild Adept wound down way before the Beyind deal was a thing. Most likely situation is that the DMsGuild scene took off enough that WotC didn't think it was worth resources to try and foster beginners when the community was already going full steam in their own.
Or my thought is the Adapt program was really a way for them to develop and vet potential new creators. And they simple no longer need a pool of new people to work with. i.e. they have a large enough pool of outside creators they are happy to work with they no longer need to have a way to bring in more. Or other channels they have are bringing them the new talent they are looking for.

Remove ads