• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

newbies guide for Fallout 4

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
I've reinstalled the game + DLCs and plan to make another full playthrough during the summer. Shame to say I've only made one full playthrough before, despite sinking lots and lots, and lots, of hours into the game exploring every nook. That was with a semi-cheesy stealth Deliverer VATS build - need VATS since I'm old and my FPS shooting skills are bad.

This time I'm thinking about doing a melee Blitz VATS build, pref steathy:ish without power armor dependency. The big question now before starting is if I should do unarmed or weapon melee. Both variants seem fun and cool, so I'm in a mild decision paralysis phase atm. Will be playing on normal difficulty btw.

Zardnaar

Legend
I’m partial to Sanctuary simply because that was the main character’s pre-war home.

Generally yu end up migrating to the middle. Diamond city shops, a vault with shops and Bunker Hill and Good Neighbors plus Boston ruins to explore.

No spoilers a lot of the missions are centrally located.

The edge of map places tend to get neglected.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
I've reinstalled the game + DLCs and plan to make another full playthrough during the summer. Shame to say I've only made one full playthrough before, despite sinking lots and lots, and lots, of hours into the game exploring every nook. That was with a semi-cheesy stealth Deliverer VATS build - need VATS since I'm old and my FPS shooting skills are bad.

This time I'm thinking about doing a melee Blitz VATS build, pref steathy:ish without power armor dependency. The big question now before starting is if I should do unarmed or weapon melee. Both variants seem fun and cool, so I'm in a mild decision paralysis phase atm. Will be playing on normal difficulty btw.
Weapon melee give you more options, particularly in the form of Legendary effects. There are some pretty awesome melee weapons from the DLC.

Some of those perks lower down the Strength tree are awesome, I've only gone with that build once, but I was one-shotting Mirelurk Queens by halfway through the game.

Zardnaar

Legend
Weapon melee give you more options, particularly in the form of Legendary effects. There are some pretty awesome melee weapons from the DLC.

Some of those perks lower down the Strength tree are awesome, I've only gone with that build once, but I was one-shotting Mirelurk Queens by halfway through the game.

Strength is very OP. You can one shot anything in the gane including those nasty fog crawlers in Far Harbor using non legendary whatever.
. So something like atom judgement is bad because it's effect is the same as a butter knife.

Or in D&D terms 1d4+50 vs 1d12+50.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies re: melee. Yeah, I'm leaning toward using weapons, if nothing else just to have some variety and Blacksmithing fun. Fisting stuff is probably hilarious for a couple of hours, but it's a long game.

Made a cool little apartment complex with the railcars
Fallout 4 Screenshot 2024.05.20 - 03.06.54.73.png

Fallout 4 Screenshot 2024.05.20 - 03.06.42.42.png

Zardnaar

Legend
Thanks for the replies re: melee. Yeah, I'm leaning toward using weapons, if nothing else just to have some variety and Blacksmithing fun. Fisting stuff is probably hilarious for a couple of hours, but it's a long game.

Melee also cheap both in perk requirements and resources required to modify the weapons.

Ranged doesn't get a x10 damage multiplier. You can also get your strength to 50 or 60 (30 is really sufficient).

pukunui

Legend
I was in build mode at Starlight Drive-In when I got blown up by a bottle cap mine that I didn't know was there. What fun!

Oh, also, I got the Dogmeat + Companion mod working, so now I've got Dogmeat and Piper following me around. Yay! (A bit sad that adding a mod means no more achievements, etc. but meh. I don't really care about those that much anyway.)

MarkB

Legend
I was in build mode at Starlight Drive-In when I got blown up by a bottle cap mine that I didn't know was there. What fun!
Brings new meaning to someone popping a cap in your ass.
Oh, also, I got the Dogmeat + Companion mod working, so now I've got Dogmeat and Piper following me around. Yay! (A bit sad that adding a mod means no more achievements, etc. but meh. I don't really care about those that much anyway.)
Fair, though - having multiple companions will make things significantly easier.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
Melee also cheap both in perk requirements and resources required to modify the weapons.

Ranged doesn't get a x10 damage multiplier. You can also get your strength to 50 or 60 (30 is really sufficient).
As to STR 60, I’m not aiming quite that high. But I’m still planning on hitting the drugs hard this playthrough, for the fun of it. ’Roided up drug fiend is not my usual type of char in any game 😄

Remove ads