• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana: Folk of the Feywild!

Wander into the magical realm of the Feywild with our latest Unearthed Arcana: Folk of the Feywild! Your character can be a member of one of the new D&D races: fairy, hobgoblin of the Feywild, owlfolk, or rabbitfolk. Which will you choose? Playtest now: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthedarcana/folk_feywild

Wander into the magical realm of the Feywild with our latest Unearthed Arcana: Folk of the Feywild!

Your character can be a member of one of the new D&D races: fairy, hobgoblin of the Feywild, owlfolk, or rabbitfolk. Which will you choose?

Playtest now:

45029A1A-E1B6-4BBD-93DB-33A363112735.jpeg

Faolyn

(she/her)
They are cool! I’d love to see them translated.
Well, here's my attempt:

Wildren
Type:
You are considered to be both Humanoid and Plant for the purposes of spells and other effects that target specific creature types. [[Note: I know it says Fey, but gosh they look like plants to me, and I think we need more plant people in our lives.]]

Size: Most wildren stand no more than a few inches about five-and-a-half feet tall, and typically weigh between 140 and 170 pounds. Your size is Medium.

Speed: Your walking speed is 30 feet.

Languages: You can speak Common and Elven.

Natural Camouflage: Choose one of the following types of terrain: desert, forest, grassland, mountain, or swamp. Your bark-like skin blends in with the plants native to that terrain, granting you camouflage. While camouflaged in this manner and in your chosen terrain, you have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide, and can take the Hide action as a bonus action. If you enter a different terrain of the types listed above, then when you complete a long rest, you may use an action to alter your camouflage. Once you do so, you can't do so again until you have completed a long rest in a different type of terrain.

Nature's Wrath: If you use your reaction to make a melee attack against a creature within 5 feet of you, you can choose to unleash the inherent bloody wrath of the natural world against that creature. It must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failure, it is stunned until the end of your next turn. The DC is 8 + your proficiency modifier + your Constitution bonus. Once you do so, you can't do so again until you complete a short or long rest.

One with Nature: You are proficient in the Nature skill.

Tree Stride: As a bonus action, you can magically teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space you can see. Once you use this trait, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Well, here's my attempt:

Wildren
Type:
You are considered to be both Humanoid and Plant for the purposes of spells and other effects that target specific creature types. [[Note: I know it says Fey, but gosh they look like plants to me, and I think we need more plant people in our lives.]]

Size: Most wildren stand no more than a few inches about five-and-a-half feet tall, and typically weigh between 140 and 170 pounds. Your size is Medium.

Speed: Your walking speed is 30 feet.

Languages: You can speak Common and Elven.

Natural Camouflage: Choose one of the following types of terrain: desert, forest, grassland, mountain, or swamp. Your bark-like skin blends in with the plants native to that terrain, granting you camouflage. While camouflaged in this manner and in your chosen terrain, you have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide, and can take the Hide action as a bonus action. If you enter a different terrain of the types listed above, then when you complete a long rest, you may use an action to alter your camouflage. Once you do so, you can't do so again until you have completed a long rest in a different type of terrain.

Nature's Wrath: If you use your reaction to make a melee attack against a creature within 5 feet of you, you can choose to unleash the inherent bloody wrath of the natural world against that creature. It must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failure, it is stunned until the end of your next turn. The DC is 8 + your proficiency modifier + your Constitution bonus. Once you do so, you can't do so again until you complete a short or long rest.

One with Nature: You are proficient in the Nature skill.

Tree Stride: As a bonus action, you can magically teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space you can see. Once you use this trait, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest.
I like that, at first glance. I was thinking 3 subraces, with one being more dryad-like, one small and able to look like a branch or shrub, and one more exactly like the 4e, but yours is certainly simpler.

Eubani

Legend

Hamadryad​

Racial traits​

Hamadryad have the following racial traits.

Female OnlyAll hamadryads are female.
Forest Walk: You ignore difficult terrain that is part of a tree, underbrush, or some other forest growth.
Fey Origin: Your ancestors were native to the Feywild, so you are considered a fey creature for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin.
Oaken Vitality: Your tree heritage grants you advantage on Survival (Constitution) checks involving Endurance to resist the effects of exhaustion, starvation, thirst, or suffocation, and you can survive for twice the normal time period before you are required to make such checks. You do not require sleep, but you must meditate at least four hours each day to absorb light (even from as small a source as a candle), soak in water, or connect with the earth beneath your feet. This meditation grants you the benefits that other races receive from an extended rest. While meditating, you are fully aware of your surroundings and notice approaching enemies and other events as normal.
Tree Mind: You gain advantage on saving throws against effects that daze, dominate, or stun.
Hamadryad Aspects
Drawing on fey magic, you call on your primal beauty and strength to thwart your foes.
Bonus Action
Effect: Choose one of the following aspects each time you use this power. You gain that aspect’s benefits.
Spellbinding Beauty: Every enemy that can see you grants advantage to you until the end of your next turn. This does not affect constructs or undead.
Wooden Form: You gain resistance to all non magical weapon damage until the end of your next turn.

You can not use your aspect abilities till you have had a short or long rest.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

In my own game, there is an ancestry called the Vaettr, who are spirits who have taken on a physical form, losing some of their place-magic in exchange for greater freedom of travel and Will.

Here is my attempt to translate a Wood Vaettr to 5e.

Vaettr of The Trees

Size:
You choose Small or Medium

Speed: 30ft, and you have a climb speed equal to your speed

Children of The Wood: You are Humanoid and Fey

Sleep of The Trees: You can take on the form of a tree, related to the tree that you once resided within, for up to 24 hours. While doing so, you have hit points equal to half your normal maximum, AC 13, resistance to bludgeoning and poison, immunity to radiant, and vulnerability to fire, and your movement is 0ft. If you take a rest in this form, your humanoid body gains the benefits when you are done. You are indistinguishable from a normal tree. You can speak Sylvan while in this form, but not any other language that requires vocalisation.

Speech of Leaf and Wind: You can speak and understand Sylvan and Auran, as well as Common.

Tree Walker: You ignore difficult terrain caused by tree roots and underbrush, and you can step into a tree, and step out of another tree that you can see, using only 5ft of movement. Once you have done so, you cannot do so again until you have finished a long rest.

Awakened Wood: You can take on a hybrid form, taking on aspects of the Wood you left behind while retaining the advantages of a humanoid form. While in your Awakened Wood form, you gain temporary hit points equal to your level, you can move through the space of a tree as if it were normal terrain, including moving up and down, and your unarmed strikes gain a bonus to damage equal to your proficiency modifier. You can do this once, and regain the ability to do so when you complete a short or long rest.

edit: In my game there is a whole aspect of play involving the spirit world and talking to spirits that dnd just doesn't have, and also resting works differently, and a lot of other stuff is just different, so this is a pretty loose translation.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I like that, at first glance. I was thinking 3 subraces, with one being more dryad-like, one small and able to look like a branch or shrub, and one more exactly like the 4e, but yours is certainly simpler.
I could see that.

I'd have to do some refiguring, but I could all subraces having Natural Camouflage and the Nature Proficiency. Dryads would have the Tree Stride and access to the druidcraft cantrip. Briars would be Small, have the ability to move through larger creature's spaces, maybe some claws or thorns thing. And... Wildlings (dunno) would have the Nature's Wrath, claws, and maybe some poison ability.

doctorbadwolf

I could see that.

I'd have to do some refiguring, but I could all subraces having Natural Camouflage and the Nature Proficiency. Dryads would have the Tree Stride and access to the druidcraft cantrip. Briars would be Small, have the ability to move through larger creature's spaces, maybe some claws or thorns thing. And... Wildlings (dunno) would have the Nature's Wrath, claws, and maybe some poison ability.
that sounds great! I like Briar a lot. Wildlings works, if Wilden needs to be the base race name.

Hussar

Legend
Female OnlyAll hamadryads are female.
And, that, right there, is why you don't have a PC race.

With all the stuff about gender that WotC has been threading it's way through over the past year or two, the chances that they would bang out a gender specific race is ... unlikely.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I would definitely make a Dryad/Hamadryad race be able to be male or female. They did that for nymphs in Mythic Odysseys of Theros. It's a simple and easy change.

(My world has its own lore explanation for this, with the Archfey Lord of Dryads transforming the home-trees of all dryads into a male partner for them.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads