• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Mailing List: Roleplayers of Color

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
Ever since I saw the first 'Women in Gaming' mailing list pop up in the 90s, I've been milling over the idea of making this in my head...

The current thread on this topic has me milling the issue over again, and I suppose it might be time for the list I've just started to arrive on the scene.

So:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/RoleplayersOfColor/

Here is what I put for the group's FAQ:
arcady said:
## Purpose:
This group if for RPG gamers of color, primarily as it relates to the
American experience and definition of race, and the issues we have as
minorities in a hobby almost defined by our near absence.

This is not a place for the promotion of racism or racial stereotypes,
but for coming together and sharing our experiences and perspectives.
It might be a place where we can discuss how to advocate for racial
sensitivity in gaming, and how to help our fellow gamers come to
understand and relate to us, it can also be a place for us to discuss
how to get more people of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds into
the hobby of table top roleplaying games.

There are people who believe that race has no place in discussion,
and / or that minorities have no place discussing it. This list is
logically not for them, and it would be appreciated if they not try to
attack the list. This list is for those who have found issues of race
to be a real and present force in their lives and their hobbies, and
wish to address how it impacts their particular hobby of roleplaying.

This list is something of an experiment to address something I feel
has a need, but is hard to define in really concrete terms.

## Rules of Discussion:
1. This -is- a somewhat political group, and as long as the discussion
is relevant to the group purpose political discussion will be
allowed.

2. Personal attacks, racial, ethnic, class, and religious slandering
will not be tolerated.

3. This group is not meant to exclude the majority race, but the
perspective for them here is much like of the perspective for men who
join women in gaming lists.

4. For now, discuss what seems relevant, and we'll see what rules are
needed.

## About the Moderator:
I'm arcady, and you can find my posts on a variety of gaming boards. I
also write fiction and do digital art (with a deviantart gallery under
my handle). I am racially mixed - near equal parts Asian, North American
Native, South American Native, and Caucasian. I'm nearly 34, married to
an Asian non gamer, and a student of Political Science and Criminal
Justice.

For moderation, I will try to take as a light a hand as I possibly can,
and I am very sensitive to the need to not show bias in that for any one
side. Keep it civil, and you hopefully might be able to forget that the
list has someone running it.

I'd imagine, given the purported prevalence of "cat-piss" types, whether or not the guy next to you has the same skin color would be ... well ... a minor issue.

Aparently, that's not the case! Good luck with your group! :D

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
I'd imagine, given the purported prevalence of "cat-piss" types,
Heh. I've never met one myself. Maybe they aren't very common in Austria - or maybe I've just been lucky.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
I'd imagine, given the purported prevalence of "cat-piss" types, whether or not the guy next to you has the same skin color would be ... well ... a minor issue.

If this is what you think the group is about then you're missing the point...

Last edited:

Cergorach

The Laughing One
[rant]
Maybe i life in the wrong country for this crap, but the "racial sensitivity in gaming" just wants to make me want to puke. But if there is any, then your playing in the wrong group! Maybe the privilage of growing up in a multicultural environment has made me ignorant of the realities in the US for example, but i still feel that it's the flipside of the argument that makes a point in 'educating' about the dangers of 'other' races.

For god sake! People are people, whatever the color of the skin, the slate of their eyes, or the size of their feet. While there are diferences between a white or a red roze, they are both still both damned beautifull flowers.
[/rant]

S'mon

Legend
Cergorach - yeah, you live in the wrong country. Let the Americans have their list, you Dutch have your own problems to deal with. :)

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Cergorach said:
[rant]
Maybe i life in the wrong country for this crap, but the "racial sensitivity in gaming" just wants to make me want to puke. But if there is any, then your playing in the wrong group! Maybe the privilage of growing up in a multicultural environment has made me ignorant of the realities in the US for example, but i still feel that it's the flipside of the argument that makes a point in 'educating' about the dangers of 'other' races.

For god sake! People are people, whatever the color of the skin, the slate of their eyes, or the size of their feet. While there are diferences between a white or a red roze, they are both still both damned beautifull flowers.
[/rant]
Well Cergorach, our country's capital is not very representative of the world in general. The people I've met involved in gaming in the US would probably find it a bit odd that I had about a one year campaign with a Frenchman, a black (Caribbean) British guy and a Californian gay guy.

Actually, I did think it was pretty cool at the time, but mostly because of the nationality mix.

Rav

Cergorach

The Laughing One
S'mon said:
Cergorach - yeah, you live in the wrong country. Let the Americans have their list, you Dutch have your own problems to deal with. :)
[clueless mode]
We have? Aren't we like... like perfect... and stuff. *grins*
[/clueless mode]

I'll shut up now ;-)

Miyazawa Mizaki

First Post
This is a bit off topic but when I play d20 modern all of the Black people I know who play it play white people, all of the white people I know play asians and all the asians I know play as themselves (who they actually are, not just race).

ShinHakkaider said:
If this is what you think the group is about then you're missing the point...

The group seems to be about generalized "minority issues in gaming" - which is an absolutely huge subject.

I mentioned that, in my opinion, the social problems caused by sitting next to a black guy are probably less severe than those caused by sitting next to somone of any race who hasn't bathed in three days.

Therefore, I have a hard time understanding that the hobby as an entity may accept the latter, but not the former.

But then, I game with a bunch of "minorities," so maybe my opinion is biased. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads